Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat just won't eat wet food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Slawbawn, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Slawbawn

Slawbawn PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We've got a bit of a "fussy" cat. I say fussy, she's more of a princess that gets whatever she wants, and she knows it!

We've had her around 4 months, from Cats Protection. When we got her, we spoke to them about what they'd been feeding her. We figured some continuity would work. They said purina dry food and regular Felix wet food. Fine, so we went with that. At first, she was eating up whatever we gave her.

Then she started getting a bad stomach, so upon the vets advice we changed her diet. We give her Harringtons dry food, which she'll eat till her hearts content, and we've tried various wet foods, including Wainwrights from Pets at Home. Still, she was getting a bad stomach, so the vet suggested giving her a plain diet of fish and rice for a week or two. Did that, and her stomach was sorted.

Moving on from that, we again tried various wet foods including Iams, amongst others. And she just won't eat any of them. Iams, Wainwrights, feline fayre, butchers (I think?), Felix and Felix as good as it looks. At most she'll eat half a pouch of the felix as good as it looks.

We've taken her dry food away, other than through the night and take it away about an hour before we feed her in the morning, then give it to her after her evening pouch.

Her weight etc are all fine, and the vet can't find any signs of health problems that may be stopping her eating.

The best solution we've found is heating wet food in the microwave for around 10 seconds. She seems to eat a bit more, but I still feel like she isn't eating enough.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Willing to try anything to get her to eat enough food. My main concern is that she isn't going to be getting enough nutritional value if she's eating so little.

2. GreyandWhiteMog

GreyandWhiteMog PetForums Junior

Hi there,

How lovely to hear you adopted from Cat's Protection recently! I also have a rescue cat, rehomed from Blue Cross late last year and it is great to give them a second chance. I hope you get just as much out of the experience as I have :)

Sorry to hear you're having a little trouble with her food and encouraging your cat to eat more! To be completely honest with you, I really don't rate the Felix, Whiskers, IAMs etc on the market. It's basically the cat equivalent of Mcdonalds.

Cats are strict carnivores. So they need a lot of meat. It may be worth while doing a little research into higher meat content diet - ones with little or no grains or cereals.

Brands I would recommend (they will cost slightly more than Felix etc. but worth it for quality) are Lily's Kitchen, Fish4Cats (not a complete food though!), Little BigPaw - they a newer company but really rate them, Canagan.

Cat's often smell their food before trying it, if it doesn't smell too appetising then they won't be too fussed about eating it all or even trying it. The better quality foods may help to solve this problem.

Good luck!

3. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

could it be that she is associating the wet food you previously gave her with her stomach upset? I can definitely recommend Canagan, it is Cody's favourite but it is on the expensive side, it is a shredded type of food so that might suit your girl better than the 'pate' style? Thrive is another similar type and also Applaws but remember that Applaws is complementary and a treat rather than the main diet, I have heard Tesco premium is good also but I haven't tried that one with Cody

4. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Have you tried hand feeding pieces of raw meat? Even if you're not planning to use a complete raw diet, feeding some raw (or plain cooked) meat will be good for her, especially if she's eating mainly dry food with poor quality wet.

My boy likes mince rolled into little balls, and prefers chunks of pork or beef rather than turkey or chicken. He's also less keen on fish.

5. Slawbawn

I have wondered if she's associating wet food in that manner, but she does, on the odd occasion still eat an entire pouch. I'll have a look at the brands you suggested. We've tried pretty much everything that supermarkets sell, apart from the Webbox ones as the vet said that will likely make her stomach worse.

She absolutely loves the gourmet pate type ones, but anything like that makes her stomach loose. As a result, we can't give her anything in gravy or "soup", as they all upset her. Jelly is pretty much where were at, and she just picks at that and leaves the meat if she does eat.

We have done this a few times, just for peace of mind that she's getting some food in her and not starving. We don't want to give her a complete raw diet though, unfortunately, neither of us have the time to prepare it. Between work, giving her the attention she needs and preparing our own meals we're pretty swamped for time.

6. Slawbawn

So a quick update, we went to a different shop yesterday and bought a brand called Feline Fayre. She wolfed down an entire pouch straight away last night, so we'll see how it goes with that. Fingers crossed!

7. Scarlett1

Scarlett1 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, have been going through something a bit similar with my recent rescue cat from CP. When she came she was supposed to eat Felix but wouldn't touch it and has proved to be a little fussy to say the least.
    I wonder if you're better sticking to a totally grain free diet as you mention gravy style foods upset her tummy? Fish and sometimes chicken will set off a very sensitive cat too. It's a case of trial and error to see what goes down well.
    Just a word on the Feline Fayre, if it is the blue pouch/packaging it is not a complete food only a complementary one. They have one that is black packaging and it is a complete food.

8. FatherOfFlo

FatherOfFlo PetForums Junior

I was thinking the same thing

9. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Re complementary food-wd it b ok to give that but add some fellini to it?

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Ps think i need to add that the above question was in my own interest!. I have some complementary food that my cat loves n it wd b nice if i could give it to her more often

11. Sherylina

Sherylina PetForums Member

If her weight is maintaining and medical issues have been ruled out via blood test and examinations then I don't really think there is anything to worry about. although I know that's easier said than done!!

If she wasn't getting enough then she would lose weight and body condition. Does she go out, could she be eating elsewhere?

12. GusM

GusM PetForums Newbie

Get to your local Home Bargains. They're selling discontinued tins of Feline Fayre super cheap!

13. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Thats what i did! Hence the question about adding fellini to make it a 'complete' meal

14. Slawbawn

She's an indoor cat, so she won't be getting food from elsewhere. I guess that excess energy could be a cause of not eating much, but we do play with her as much as possible and she's always running and jumping around.

We tried Applaws this morning. She seemed to like it, so we'll see how she gets on with that. We spoke to our vet and he said that as long as she's having complete dry food to get her nutrients etc, we can give her complementary wet food too so we're going to stick with Applaws and Feline Fayre for now and see how we get on.

15. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

If you have found a wet food that she will eat do try to give up the dry, even the best dry isn't great whereas any wet is better than dry.
    Natures Menu is also a good one to try, it is similar to Little Big Paw, Canagan etc.and Cheshire Cat, all of these are available from Pets Corner (some of which are in garden centres, some in shops and also online) or you could order from Floyds and try a few tins of ones you think will be good rather than order in bulk from Zooplus as a lot of people do.

http://www.floydspfotenshop.de/Katz....html?XTCsid=e07fc37c612bce60527168d3244b65e0

Apparently jelly is less likely to upset the digestive system than gravy which may be why there are more food in jelly than gravy, but really the lies of Felix and Whiskas and the supermarket stuff is not great quality and is bulked out with soya, maize and all manner of rubbish (just like the dry).

16. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

I'd be careful about adding Felini, it's intended as the balanced nutrient to add to a raw food if you're not adding bone or other supplements. I would guess that the Feline Fayre has some nutients etc in it, so you could end up giving too much of something.

17. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Thanks for that. Will give it as an occ treat then. Its interesting that complementary foods r so much more yummy ( to Jessie anyway -
    I also have quite a lot of Sheba,dome pots, that i got cheap when Asda got rid of it on their clearance shelf)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice