UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Cat Jealousy

730 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lorilu 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I'm a proud mother of two cats: Samuel, sterilized male, he's gonna be 3 years old in March and Svetlana, she's gonna be 4 months old in January, still have every organ. She joined us at the 2nd week of October. They were completely separated in the first week, first of all, because Svetlana was found on the streets and I wanted to make sure she's healthy and second of all because I wanted to make sure I can avoid any conflicts.

The introduction went very well. After a week I saw Samuel grooming her several times and they were sleeping together, cuddling. If I separated them accidentally they were both meowing and crying to open the door for them. It went so well that I was a bit jealous but still happy, they ignored me almost completely, spending most of their times together playing or sleeping.

Things have changed. About for a week or two now, Samuel got jealous. He's growling at her every time she's trying to approach him or me. If he sees me do something with her he's growling at me too. Even if it's just the two of us he won't let me pet him, or maybe just for a few minutes then he goes "grrrrrrrr" and runs away. He jumps up to his place where we can't reach him and keep staring at me/us. The only time he's a "nice boy" when she's not around for a while but even then he keeps looking around nervously.

The situation breaks my heart, feels like the only way I can make him happy if I completely neglect the kitten but of course I can't do that since I love her just as much. She's part of the family now.

Thank you for any help, good advice and if something is not clear enough I'm sorry, my English got a bit rusty over the years.

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree. Time spay the little girl.

However you can't rule out that there is something bothering him. Often a drastic change in behavior is an indication of pain or illness. If you put the kitten away in her safe room will he play with his normal activity level? Is he peeing normally?

Reactions: chillminx
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.