Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat jacket as an alternative to e-collar

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by caleyg, Jun 2, 2010.

1. caleyg

caleyg PetForums Newbie

we got our cat 2 weeks ago from the rescue home and she was spayed last friday. she had to wear an e-collar from saturday, as she was chewing at her stitches, and has not enjoyed this one bit! me and my OH had looked online for alternatives and i came across a mentino of dermapetwear jackets (Dermapetwear) on one of the threads here.

Our jacket came today and, after a little getting used to, Caley has adapted to it quite quickly (much quicker than the e-collar anyway). She has spent most of the morning sleeping (surprise!) but has just woken up and is giving her paws a good groom (Which she could not do in the e-collar). She has been for a pee and has had a play and the jacket does not seem to restrict her at all (although she is picking her bag legs up quite high when she walks - but I think this is just her getting used to the jacket). I just wish I had thought of this before the surgery so that she didnt have to get used to the collar and then the jacket.

I have attached a pic of her playing with her mouse whilst in her jacket.

The jackets are a bit like a babygro and are made of breathable anti-microbial fabric so can be used for a variety of skin conditions and surgery. The lady who runs the company works with the RSPCA and a cat shelter in England, and was very helpful when I contacted her. The jackets arent cheap, ~£35 inc p&p, but seeing caley grooming and being able to see what is going on around her (without trying to jump out of the collar) is worth it.

it is a personal preference as i guess some cats will adapt much better than others to the e-collars but hopefully this info may be helpful to some others.

Attached Files:

2. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

Oooo this looks good, Tilly is getting done in september so might have a think about getting her one of these instead of having to wear a collar as i'm sure it'll drive her crazy!!

:thumbup:

3. Tje

Tje Banned

can I ask something....

when she poops and pees... no problems there???

Mine aren't due any operations (both been sterilized) but I often have fosters (and they all too often have the runs) and something like this would be ideal. I just worry about it getting covered in you know what.

And can it used for a male as well as a female?

I really like the look of this thing.

It makes me wonder... why can't vet surgeries have a few of these things and then rent them out ot us for 5 quid for a week (or whatever amount).

4. caleyg

caleyg PetForums Newbie

hi tje,

she hasnt been for a poop yet, but when she went for a pee there were no problems - infact I would go as far as to say that it was much easier than the e-collar as she could see what she was doing. I am sure poops will be much the same - but if there are any problems i will let you know.

I am not sure if it would be ok for cats with the runs as it does cover part of her back legs, but her bum is exposed so she can go to the toilet easily.

again, not sure about male cats - but if you contact the company (go to the contact page on the website) I am sure they will be able to help - i found them very helpful and the product only took one day to be delivered.

great idea about renting as they are quite expensive for a potential one off use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice