Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat is positive for fcov, has fever, decreased appetite and he's lethargic

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by CrazyDoctor14, Apr 3, 2020.

1. CrazyDoctor14

CrazyDoctor14 PetForums Newbie

Hello i have a 9 month old cat. He has been always struggling with constipation but currently thanks to the new food we give him he is okay.

But now he has developed a fever and started eating less. We took him to the vet who gave him antibiotics and a shot for his fever. For the day he was okay but the next day he got a fever again so we took him to the vet one more time.

This time vet gave him stronger shots and said we would do a blood test if he keeps getting fevers. He wanted to do the blood test that day but because of coronavirus his assistant didn't come.

Next day my cat got a fever again so he called for help from nearby clinics and did the blood test. After the test he told us that our cat had feline coronavirus and also an infection in his blood. He said that the cat couldn't fight the infection because of the feline coronavirus suppressing his immune system. And he recommended some meds to boost his immune system. And he gave my cat one more shot for the fever.

Do you guys think this diagnose was accurate? And if it is accurate, is the recommended treatment correct?

And he has been drinking a lot of water since he came from the vet.

I uploaded the test results.

Attached Files:

2. Pepperpots

Pepperpots PetForums Senior

Feline Coronavirus is quite common and different from the human version.

3. CrazyDoctor14

Yes i know that. I just want to make sure my cat is getting the best treatment possible. And i am worried it might turn to fip. Vet did say he couldn't feel water in his abdomen but he isn't getting better and i am worried.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @CrazyDoctor14

What are his current symptoms? Is he eating? You mentioned he is drinking a lot of water, but if he is not eating much then he does need to drink a lot to keep himself hydrated. Is he dehydrated do you think (check his gums - they should be pink and moist if he is hydrated)

Is he peeing and pooing normally?

Only a very small percentage of cases of FCoV mutate into FIP, but I appreciate you are worried. Especially in the current lock down where vets can only see emergencies.

Your cat may need another course of antibiotics. Can you speak to the vet on the phone again? See what they suggest as your boy is not getting better.

CrazyDoctor14 likes this.
  5. CrazyDoctor14

He was eating little to none and was very lethargic. He was peeing but not pooping. We took him to the vet the next day. Vet said our cat had yellowing in his eyes and ears and that he has jaundice. He gave him some meds for his liver and he is staying at the vet tonight. Our vet took an x-ray and said he didn't see water in his abdomen but the x-ray wasn't very clear so he will take one later again. Vet says that he can't say anything about his recovery currently. We will have wait for the cat's response to the meds.

Our vet also says that this liver problem is caused by fcov. He still didn't say fip but everything i see on the internet says that fip would cause these problems and fcov is mostly asymptomatic.

Edit: His fever did go down. Yesterday and the day before he had no fever. And i didn't ask the vet but i don't think he had fever today as well. Could him not eating much caused damage to his liver?

Also our vet gave him a shot to boost his immune system and we also give him a med recommended by our vet to boost his immune system.

#5 CrazyDoctor14, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@CrazyDoctor14 - yes, a cat who does not eat for several days can develop a serious condition called liver lipidosis. One of the symptom is jaundice.

https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_hepatic_lipidosis

I have not heard that hepatic lipidosis is a specific symptom of FCov...as you say, FCov is usually a mild infection in cats and mostly asymptomatic.

If the vet thinks it may be FIP, there is a pioneering new treatment available now. I don't know if it will help your kitty or not, but it is worth you investigating. Diane Addie (website linked below) is a vet who has expert knowledge of FIP.

http://www.catvirus.com/treatment.htm

There is a group on Facebook called FIP Warriors. I recommend you join it as soon as possible, so you can find out about the treatment, what is involved and what it costs. If your kitten has FIP the sooner you start the treatment the better chance of success.

There is a forum member whose cat was diagnosed with FIP, he had the treatment last year and recovered. Here is her thread. :--

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/suspected-fip-tests-alternative-diagnosis-treatment.520473/

Thinking of you with sympathy and sending healing thoughts to your kitten.

Please let us know how things go.

7. CrazyDoctor14

Vet says my cat has fip. He drew water from his abdomen. And it matches fip water.

I will check these groups thank you.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am very sorry to hear this sad news @CrazyDoctor14.

Please do join the Facebook group - "FIP Warriors", they will have all the information for you about the new drug treatment for FIP.

9. CrazyDoctor14

@chillminx Sadly my cat passed in the afternoon. I didn't even have a chance to acquire those meds. Our vet said even if those said meds worked our cat had deteriorated so fast and he was in such a bad situation that it couldn't heal him.

Thank you for trying to help me and my cat. Rip Pamuk.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am very sorry to hear this sad news @CrazyDoctor14 - devastating for you.

Thinking of you with much sympathy.

RIP dear Pamuk.

11. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I’ve only just seen this; I’m so sorry for your loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice