Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat is not using the cat flap properly

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by plutomoon, Jan 13, 2021.

1. plutomoon

plutomoon PetForums Newbie

I have got a rescue cat about 2 months ago and have installed a cat flap in my living room window. My cat is using the cat flap only when the flap is fully open. He is not using is head to push open the flap door unless I hold the door ajar fully with tape.

When I have tried lowering the cat flap window slightly but my cat is refusing to walk through the cat flap.
    My cat is very timid and have tried to tempt him through with treats, but this does not really work. Today, he refused to walk though, meowed a couple of times and jumped to the middle of the living room floor before turning his back to me (cat strop!)!

What can I do? Any tips?

2. Hammystar

Hammystar PetForums Member

No tips but my kitten is behaving in a similar way. He will only go out through it if I hold it wide open and he can leap through like a dog through a hoop! If I lower it as he starts to go through he backs up. I was thinking it was due to the fact it's been locked for him until recently but I'm now starting to wonder if it us something more. He watches my older boy go through so he knows how it works. He just seems to prefers to sit at the door and meow at me to open it for him!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice