Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat is litter-box sitting, I need advice?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Hannahlxck, May 2, 2017.

1. Hannahlxck

Hannahlxck PetForums Newbie

My partner changed my cats litter this morning and for some reason my cat has decided to lye in his litter box and chill out?

In the whole 2 years I have had him, he has never done this and he has just done it twice in the last 10 minutes.

A few weeks back he had a consultation to see a vet. The vet confirmed he was displaying signs of a urinary tract infection and my cat was prescribed some cystaid+ capsules, along side metacam. He finished the course of medication about 2 weeks ago and I am pretty sure there is no urinal obstruction currently, as he did a wee right after his litter change this morning.

I'm just wondering if this is somewhat normal? Like I said, it's the first time he's ever done it and after googling, I read that it can be a sign of illness.

I'm probably being a hypochondriac, but I need some advice! My cat is my best friend and I love him to the ends of the earth!

Thanks! X

Attached Files:

2. Linda2147

Linda2147 PetForums Senior

could be one round of anti biotics wasn't enough. Sometimes its a stubborn infection and he may need another round of antibiotics to clear it up. And if he doesn't drink a lot of water you might try feeding just wet food. Or get a fountain to encourage him to drink

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sometimes cats lie in the litter box if they feel stressed or unwell. Could be your cat feels a bit feverish e.g. if he still has a UTI.

Sometimes cats lie in the litter box to keep cool (clay litter tends to be cooler to the touch than the floor might be) The weather in the UK has been very warm the past few days, so it could be that.

Does your cat have a choice of cool places he can lie indoors, out of the sun, e.g. a north facing room, with a tiled or hardwood floor? Do you have fans or air-conditioners running? Is he getting plenty of fluids ? Wet food only, and no dry food? He will need extra fluids in this weather. I give mine home made chicken broth.

These self cooling mats are useful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cool-Cooli...43&sr=8-1&keywords=self+cooling+mats+for+cats

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice