Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat is left alone for long periods of time.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Evgeny, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Evgeny

Evgeny PetForums Newbie

Hello, I've had a terrible family situation that is out of my control. One of the results of that is that my cat will have to move out for 1 year until I can safely take it back to another country with me.

The options are either give it to someone's friends I have no idea who, or my grandmother. I decided that grandmother will be the only option I can agree on, due to her having experience with my cat and actually taking care of him. I can be sure she will love him and will take care of him. She lives in a flat. The cat loves her too, and I'm sure he won't be stressed because of her in particular.

The problem is that she works, and she works a lot. She leaves home at around 5 AM and comes home the next morning, at around 11 AM. Then she is home for at least 42 hours and most of the time for 24 more. Plus, with her, the cat will spend 3 months in the countryside where he acts and looks very healthy and I can assume he likes it there.

This problem is inevitable, and the question I have to ask is, what is the best thing I can do for him? I know about the second cat, but my grandmother refused to take one, and I don't know what will we do with the 2nd cat after I'll take my first one with me in a year. Maybe some toys he can interact, overall, anything? I'm talking from the perspective of his mental health. Physical health is fine, there is a lot of food and water. He is a very calm cat, and most of the time he just sleeps, but I am still really scared he might be in depression for being alone for such a big period of time.

Info:
    Cornish Rex
    7~ years.

TL;DR: The cat will have to live 9 months in a flat while being alone for 30 hours every 2-6 days, and I wonder what is the best thing I can do for him to not stress him too much.

Thanks to everyone who will reply to this.

#1 Evgeny, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice