Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat introduction going backwards?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Paris Pluto, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Paris Pluto

Paris Pluto PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some advice about my two cats interaction. Malibu (6month) kitty has been home since September 2019. Resident cat Jiggy (2yo) took awhile to warm up to her but slowly they would take turns chasing each other etc..

Recently, I have noticed that Malibu goes to play with Jiggy and Jiggy is hissing and growling alot more than usual and even slaps the face. Malibu does go back for more sometimes. I'm not sure if Malibu may have been too rough and Jiggy isn't having much of it. Eating wise, they're in the same room eating from their food bowl but Jiggy just takes cover outside the minute she's eaten. They used to play together quite alot but not much anymore. Both cats are desexed.

I've read so many stories where their cats get along pronto or after a few weeks (jeez, that makes me envious!) and I'm not sure how to help the situation. It's only been 4 months so far. I've read i can takes cats 8 months and year to form a friendship if any, but after 4 months I thought things would have settled?

I have one theory that hopefully when Malibu isn't as rambunctious and crazy, the cats will figure it out on their own and hopefully become civil if not best buds (which would be amazing).

Would love your advice!
    Here's a picture of them when they first met.
    20191205_154328.jpg

#1 Paris Pluto, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Paris Pluto - wow what a gorgeous handsome boy Jiggy is! And Malibu is very cute and pretty.

Poor Jiggy does not sound happy if he is disappearing outside every time after he eats, bless him. The weather is too cold to be outside for long at present (if you are in the Northern Hemisphere).

It sounds as though you need to provide more spaces for Jiggy to get away from the kitten when he wants. High up spaces such as tall cat trees, shelves with safe access up to tops of cupboards are also good.

The cats each need their own feeding spots out of sight of each other. I would feed them in separate rooms and close the doors while they are eating.

If possible provide them each with their own microchip feeder - or at least provide Jiggy with one, so he knows his food is safe from the kitten. Surecare Microchip feeders are available online in most countries I believe.

Jiggy may feel happier being separated from Malibu at night times. Something to consider.

Or giving him his own room may help. You would need to fit a microchip cat flap to the door of the room and only scan in Jiggy's chip. Jiggy would be free to come and go to his room as he pleased, but Malibu would have no access. The room could have another purpose, (e.g. it could be a bedroom) not just be Jiggy's room, as long as you are able to keep the door shut, so Malibu can't get through the cat flap.

But it will only work if you can fit a cat flap to the door. Jiggy must not be shut into the room, he must be free to come and go.

Paris Pluto likes this.
  3. Paris Pluto

Hi @chillminx, thank you for responding so quickly with such insightful information. didn't specify but they're both girls.

I will take everything you said on board and make any adjusments where possible.

It's just strange though; an hour ago they were laying down 1 metre apart. Then, Malibu wil hide in a corner, chase Jiggy and then Jiggy chases back for a second and them "BAM" "GROWL" "HISS" and retreats outside.

Luckily, it's Summer here so no cold nights but will this chaos ever come down? Is it possible that because Malibu is almost 7 months, she's just testing everyone's patience? My Grandma said to let them figure out on her own; not a terrible idea and Jiggy only vocalises her feelings rather than attack but I want to have a more civil relationship (best buds is the goal)

There's still hope they could be friend right?

I just got 4 Feliway diffusers too. Bank account is not happy.

#3 Paris Pluto, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I think Malibu is just being a bit boisterous and intruding too much into Jiggy's personal space. Being a youngster she does not yet understand cat etiquette, and this is annoying Jiggy.

No, Malibu is not being boisterous to test anyone's patience. Her behaviour is normal, it is part of her growing up. She would be better if she had another kitten her own age to play with, so Jiggy could be left in peace.

But as things are, you need to step in and become Malibu's playmate when needed, with lots of interactive play with fishing rod toys etc, throwing balls for her to chase etc. Find new ways to keep her entertained each day. That way Jiggy will find her less annoying. at times when he wants to just rest. :) I expect there will probably be times when he doesn't mind playing with Malibu. He is only a young cat still at 3 yrs old. :)

#4 chillminx, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Paris Pluto likes this.
  5. Paris Pluto

@chillminx thank you so much, you're amazing.

I will start utilising what you stated.

Do you think if I was to play with Malibu for a few more extra hours a day, that will help her stop messing with Jiggy. Is it possible that Jiggy will come around when Malibu acts matures and grows into an adult? Hard to find a concrete answer and all questions are different but I thought after 5 months things would be more smooth sailing.

6. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Extra play time may help, but you may need to ensure both cats get extra playtime.

Otherwise it could become a resource issue.

Paris Pluto likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice