Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat insurance

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tilli121, Jan 23, 2008.

1. tilli121

tilli121 PetForums Junior

hi,
    not sure if this is ok for on here or should be on general chat but here goes,....
    while i am home on sick leave i thought i would sort through some paper work, i discovered the insurance i have for my bengal cat has gone up (last july) from £61.88 per year, £5.16 per month to £139.52 per year, £11.63 per month, a rise of over 100%!!!!!! i have rung them and asked them to check this and someone is ringing me back with an explanation in the next 48 hours, i have both my dals with them too and theirs has gone up by just over 50% each, one of my dals and the cat both had claims in during the previous 12 months so i expected them to go up but asked them why the cats had gone up so much, my other dals premium went up by the same amount as the one with the claim even though i have not claimed at all for her.....there is no rhyme or reason for it that i can see.........

2 other things you may be able to help me with,
    1) i looked on the web and E and L insurance looks good for the price and the cover, has anyone had any experience of them?
    2) does anyone know of any company that offers different levels of cover for indoor cats? as my bengal never goes out she shouldn't get injured by car or animal or poisoning so you would think that would make the insurance cost less,

bad news for anyone whos M & S insurance is due for renewal, thinking that my premium increase was recent and not from last july the lady i spoke to on the phone said that AXA who are the underwriters for M & S have put their premiums up so they are now using another company that is still a lot more than previous prices but less than AXA so it looks like another pricee hike is on the cards guys.....:mad:

2. may

may PetForums VIP

Have you thought about PETPLAN ?

3. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

We've always used PetPlan and have had no probs-so far:)I think if your not a registered breeder you get your first mth free too:)

4. tilli121

tilli121 PetForums Junior

didn't check pet plan origionally as our friend is with them for her dal and it is double wht we pay for our dal and the cover she has isn't as good, have tried pet plan today and for my cat it works out about £4 dearer than i am paying now for the equivelant cover, thanks anyway for the suggestion.

5. siams

siams PetForums Member

I have all my cats insured for life with pet plan its about £10 per cat a month but they have never quibled over paying out and my dog cost them over £4500 last year and they paid out and my premium only went up by 27p.I personally would not use E and L and most vets would not reccomend them,they are very bad at paying out,i used them once for the horses.

6. Hazel08

Hazel08 PetForums Junior

I agree with Siams - E & L are not good payers and only do yearly contracts (yep fell into that one! ) i am with Petplan for Jasper & the all the dogs- never had a claim for him but have claimed heavily this year for Diesel & Ticket with no problems whatsoever and the vets will do direct insurance claims with petplan - good luck with your decision :)

Hazel x

7. bardsong

bardsong PetForums Newbie

I was E&L for quite a while- they are a nightmare to get payment from.
    This year- even though I haven't claimed all the premiums went up by 25% at least.
    I've just changed and am paying less for better cover.
    Cat Insurance

8. prada

prada PetForums Member

Hi

I was with Virgin last year. Their premiums were reasonable and they paid out well on my claims. I've changed this year to Tesco as the premiums were cheaper; hoping they will be as good if I need to claim.

Purrshah-persians

9. Peeker

Peeker PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am with Animal Friends who are insured via E&L. They claim "We are the only UK pet insurance company to donate 100% of our net profits to help animal charities worldwide." They also insure you for each condition per year so if some say you can claim up to £4000 a year Animal Friends actually insure for that much per condition - and you can have several conditions per year. My cat already had to have a x-ray and medication (she's only 10 months) and they offered to pay out very quickly (although thinking about it I have not received the cheque yet, lol).
    Hope this helps.

10. Kay73

Kay73 PetForums VIP

Seriously steer clear of e&l they never pay out thats why their premiums are so low.
    My car was kicked by a horse, covered by E&L, they refused to pay i was left with a £600 bill, couldnt claim on my car insurance as at that time i was a new driver!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    They wouldnt pay as the rider didnt MAKE the horse kick my car!!
    I thought insurance ws to cover accidents????:confused:
    And how/or why would you make a horse kick a car?
    Maggie my riding instructor said she had never known E&L to settle an insurance claim.
    Hope this helps

11. Peeker

Peeker PetForums Newbie

I have to say that I got a cheque for my cat's injury from E&L yesterday so personally I haven't had any trouble but obviously other people have. It was about £250 - they didn't pay the full amount but then have paid abot £220, so not bad!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice