Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat in the bin

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kaz80, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Kaz80

Kaz80 PetForums Junior

i have a 50 litre brabantia bin, when you touch the lid it opens and when ollie jumps on the bin, which he likes doing, it opens. Today i found him inside the bin trying to eat every scrap of food thats in there.
    does anyone have any experience with this and how to stop him from eating out of the bin?

2. PEANUT1

PEANUT1 PetForums Newbie

My little male does that as well, He is a real piglet. Even If I give him his favourite cooked chicken he will still run to the bin after stuffing his face and try and scavange more food. He had a rough beginning though - found him starving and riddled with worms in some grass at about 4 weeks old. So I think that might be his reason for being piglety - he's: worried when his next meal will come.

3. Clairabell

Clairabell PetForums Junior

My cat did that as well. So now we tie all food into a bag, before putting in the bin. making sure its air tight so there is no smell to tempt his piggy nose! He still sniffs around the bin, but gets bored when he doesn't get anything of any interest. So no more nasty surprises of the bin laid on its side, it's contents spread across the kitchen floor, and Harvey laid belly-up, full of bin filth!

4. SiaAndMaxsMum

SiaAndMaxsMum PetForums Senior

Max does this too...my husband obtained photographic proof of his naughtiness

[​IMG]

5. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

All I can think is to get a different type.

I once had a cat who liked to sit on top of the bin under the counter so she could watch her food being made. For some reason we completely forgot this when we replaced to bin with a swing top one. She fell in the bin a few times before she learned :eek::rolleyes:

6. Clairabell

Clairabell PetForums Junior

Oh I gotta say, this has to go in the "show us some mischief" thread! Lol

7. Kaz80

Kaz80 PetForums Junior

thanks, i think i might need a new bin then :(

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Jumpy pushes up bin lids with his nose when he feels like it, so I would never get a bin with a touch-open lid... :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice