Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat in new home

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by xxflair, Jan 3, 2012.

1. xxflair

xxflair PetForums Member

Hello everyone, hope your all well today :)

Well yesterday my husband and I brought home our two year old cat, Leo, for the first time. His mother had been looking after him for us while we got our new home sorted and we travelled back home to get him. It's been great having him home. We truly haven't stopped smiling.

Now where he used to live he used to be out and about all the time via a cat flap. Now my hubby and I were pre-warned that he could easily run away since he isn't used to his new surroundings if we did let him out.
    He did stand by the door with me today as I waved goodbye to the hubby and turned his nose up at the weather, a good thing in my opinion, but he doesn't want to use his litter tray either.

Now would it be OK to let him out after buttering his feet? Or should we wait for a few weeks and attempt to get him used to the litter tray? This is so he gets settled in our daily routines before heading on out.

This is the first time my hubby and I have had a cat of our own so it is all new to us. A lot of advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks for reading
    xx

2. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I definitely would not let him out yet, he needs time to get used to his surroundings. He will use the litter tray eventually, they can hold on for a very long time if not used to using one. Not sure how long you should keep him in but I personally would be thinking at least 3 - 4 weeks. Enjoy him

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi and welcome to the forum.I think it would be a mistake to allow him out for a good few weeks yet.He needs to get used to his new "home" first.He will have no idea where he is and could even try to return to what he thinks is his home.Have you moved far from where he lived before.What did he do before at your MIL's home ,did he use his tray when you left him with her.Given time I'm sure he will settle ,it may be an idea to have more than one tray available for him,at least one somewhere "private".Good luck .

4. xxflair

xxflair PetForums Member

Thanks you both for your replies.

I am going to keep him in for a while. I would hate to loose him. When he lived at my MIL he never used the litter tray because he always went out. She had two other kittens and he hardly ever came in because he 'appeared' to dislike them. He always hissed, growled and struck them. Im guessing that it was because they were in his territory.

When I can go out to the shops, Im currently really poorly, Ill purchase another litter tray for him.

xx

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

You dont have to spend hard earned cash on another tray....look around the house, do you have a plastic storage box ( i used a recycling box as it has a cut out for the cat to step through) If not the pound shop will certainly have something suitable I am sure.
    The other option would be a sturdy carboard box such as the ones used for fruit in supermarkets. Lined with a plastic bag, then old newspaper, then put the litter in....that would work too.:eek:

6. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

You have come to the right place for advice:D Congrats on your new baby!!!

7. xxflair

xxflair PetForums Member

Thank you everyone for taking the time and replying. We don't have anything to spare right now, plastic or box wise, but checking in the pound shop is a really good idea :)
    xx

8. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Good Luck with your new kitty.

We need PIC,S Please. Thats the rules :D

9. xxflair

xxflair PetForums Member

Sorry it's taken a while to reply. i've been poorly :(
    He has settled in quiet well and has been keeping me company while the hubby has been at work. He also used the litter tray for the first time this morning which I'm really happy about. I gave him extra cuddles and kisses for doing so.

Well here are some pictures of him in all his beautiful glory. My Beautiful Black Leo

Attached Files:

10. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

oooooooooooooooooh, I love black cats. Little panther.

11. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum :) Your Leo is a beauty! I love black cats. I have a Leo too but mine is a 6 month black and white kitten :)

12. xxflair

xxflair PetForums Member

Thanks for your lovely comments. He truly is a beauty. I've always loved black cats since growing up with Mussels my Grandparents previous black moggie.
    Merlin we called him Black Panther at times.
    Iheartcats, aww sounds like a right sweetie xx

Im doing a lot of research for him at the moment, which is currently hurting my head, about what to feed him and I'm still no where closer to my chosen brand. Meh, more research for me but it's all fun and it keeps me motivated during these horrible flu-riddled days :p

13. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

you will get a lot of info here about food or any other topic. I think most of us have improved our kitties feeding habits.

14. xxflair

xxflair PetForums Member

I've been reading so much my head hurts. I've written a list with important factors and have plenty of web pages saved in my history. It's actually really interesting to delve into everything based on a cats nutrition and what they need.
    I've only been on this forum for a few days and it's already helping me out loads. So thanks guys :D

15. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Big welcome to the forum. Lovely to have you with us and I hope that you are feeling much better soon.

Your Leo is absolutely GOIGEOUS!!!!!! I have two beautiful black babies at home (and a white one and a ginger one!) and they are just sooooooooooooo yummy.

Black cats are very much loved and adored on this forum. :D

#15 MoggyBaby, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  16. xxflair

xxflair PetForums Member

Thank you Moggybaby. I truly do love black kitties. It's something about them that always draws me in :) xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice