Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat in labour , advice pls

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by cbrpaul, Jun 26, 2009.

1. cbrpaul

cbrpaul PetForums Newbie

hi there ,

First post , but im hoping i can get some advice

My persian cat is 1 year old , and is currently in labour i beleive , she has slight discharge , not a great amount , just a show really ,

I came home at 2pm today and she seemed to have spasms , its now 7:30pm and still no sogn of any kittens, shes led in the garden and not really moving too much ,

Ive looked behind and nothing seems to be showing as such.

Basically how long should i be waiting before i start to get concerned here ?

thankyou for any advice you can give.

2. Heavenleigh

Heavenleigh PetForums Senior

Im sorry i cant offer any advice but i am sure someone will come along who can soon, good luck x

3. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

Does you cat seem to be in any distress? If not, then I'm sure she'll be fine.

If you are worried, ring your vet, s/he will be able to tell you if you need to do anything.

#3 Emma32, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. cbrpaul

cbrpaul PetForums Newbie

thankyou for the replies ,

she seems Subdued and quiet , not moving , just led there , but every now and then she raises her back end ,

, we are wiping her with warm water and cotton wool , as she was getting flies around the area due to the hot weather also,

i guess we cant do no more :confused:

5. rottiesloveragdolls

I take it this is her 1st litter, how is she now is she in any stress or is she following you about looking for somewhere to have her babies? have you got her a birthing box, sorry for all the questions! sometimes with their 1st litter they can go a few hours, but it she is in stress at all i would defo call your vets

6. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

Well if she doesn't seem troubled then she should be okay.
    Is she panting? And is there mucus from her rear?

7. cbrpaul

cbrpaul PetForums Newbie

shes not panting, yet seems quite relaxed, apart every now and then her stomach seems to contract for a brief moment and she then relaxes again

yes signs of mucus/fluid from the rear , it seems very very faintly pink in colour,

We just called the out of hours vet in our area , and she said she can see her for £80 call out , and if she needs a caesarean its £500, :eek:

8. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

First of all you need to get your girl in from the garden and confine her in a quiet room away from children and other pets.

If she has been pushing continuously for more than an hour and there is nothing showing and she is getting tired or distressed then she may be having problems, Persians are prone to kittens getting stuck in the birth canal due to their larger heads, you will need to contact your vet quickly for advice and perhaps take her in for a caesarian.

9. Helend

Helend PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm a vet nurse and I think you should call your vet. If she has been contracting( you said looked like spasms) it could be uterine inertia. She could also be exhausted if she has been contracting most of the day. Please give your vet a call and get advice from them. I guess her safety is most important but prepare yourself for a ceasaren. good luck

10. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Sorry this was not meant as a lecture - you asked for advice and got it - even though it was what you didn't want to hear.

I merely pointed out that you should be prepared for the possibility of complications, its irrelevant whether you meant your cat to breed or it was unplanned as you will have known of the pregnancy a few weeks before the due date. As a breeder Im well aware of how much a caesarean can cost so I didn't bring that subject up - you did.

Forums are great places for advice but they are never a substitute for proper veterinary care. I hope you stay onboard.

11. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Hi There is there any news.

12. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hope all went ok,:confused:

13. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

me too. :(:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice