Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat in labour, 1 kitten out!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lindseyd, May 26, 2013.

1. lindseyd

lindseyd PetForums Newbie

So my cat Belle has just gone into labour. Kitten 1 was at 12.52am. No signs yet of another but should be soon. Has it been too long do you think? And should kittens be nursing straightaway? If they don't shall I put them on her nipple?

2. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

congrats:)did mum expel afterbirth as this is important so as not to get infection inside womb...i think its ok that lenght of time but only if she is pantingresting ......if she has been pushing/straining a long time that would be cause for concern. hopefully someone more exp will come on soon

i would put kitts straight to nipple after she has finished cleaning/drying/cut nipped cord
    they might be tired but gently but firmly rub kitten and they will smell mums milk:)

hows she now?

do you have any more /you are proabably very busy , hope all is well,
    a nice relaxed atmosphere helps ,act like its the most natural thing in the world,- cos it is
    dim the lights , keep a spotlight to check babies and make sure placentas come out,
    always a good idea to have a vet emergency number handy as well

maybe good to give mum some wet food if she wants , its a tiring buisness , she needs lots of energy

best wishes... let us know how it goes x

#2 moggiemum, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. Ann Elizabeth

Ann Elizabeth PetForums Senior

Apologies I have no experience with cats & kittens and only one experience of a dog whelping, puppies nursed within minutes of being born, only had to put one onto nipple others found their own way, Lily delivered her first pup at 9.45 and her 2nd at 1320, she had bouts of panting, but at other times she was just fascinated with her first pup, she even took a little nap. I telephoned the vet who said not to worry unless she was straining and that there can be long periods of time between pups - I don't know if the information is the same for cats. Good luck

4. lindseyd

Kitten number 2 has just come out! Seems to be the same colour as the other. She's cleaned them both up well and they look fine! She made a lot more noise with the 2nd one and she was staring up at me so I was smoothing her head a lot. Never heard a noise like it! She went to sleep after the first and was purring lots.

5. Ann Elizabeth

Congratulations, hope you, kittens and mum are all ok! :)

6. lindseyd

I am so tired!
    Kitten 1 was born at 12:52am
    Kitten 2 was born at 05:24am
    Kitten 3 was born at 05:59am.

Is it possible she could still have more?
    It certainly does seem that she may have more in there.
    At the moment she isn't in active labour so I'm not worried, she's just having a sleep and feeding them.

Here are some pictures:

View attachment 114837

View attachment 114838

image.jpg

#6 lindseyd, May 26, 2013
  7. lindseyd

8. lindseyd

Here's a picture of her before giving birth:

image.jpg

It's so difficult posting pictures on here! Unless I just don't have a clue what I am doing!

9. lindseyd

And another..

Looking like a balloon with legs!

image.jpg

10. GingerJasper

GingerJasper PetForums Senior

Oh bless, def more pics pls when you all had some sleep. I'm guessing shes gonna have 2 more.

11. lindseyd

It it normal to have a few hours between kittens?

12. crispycat

crispycat PetForums Member

ah bless she is gorgeous too! Is she a pedigree? sorry i am clueless about pedigrees apart from the moggie variety! :)

13. lindseyd

No I don't believe she is.
    She's such a beautiful cat!

14. Ann Elizabeth

Hi Lindseyd, congratulations again and well done! As said before I don't have any experience with cats & kittens and can only share my experience with my dog. Lily's pups were born 9.40am; 1.20pm, 2.45pm and 4.55pm she had naps between pups 1 & 2 and 3 & 4.
    Pics are great all are beautiful!!! I'm going to bow out now as there are more people on here and I'm sure plenty with experience of cats, though I may have a nosy later

Good luck and well done, :D

PS if you think you're tired now there's worse to come haven't had a full nights sleep for over a week! Lily and pups doing fine, looking well - I look like a zombie:eek:

15. lindseyd

Thank you!
    May give the vets a ring later on tonight just in case.
    Maybe she is only having 3, would be lovely if she did!

16. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It happens often enough to be considered normal for cats. One of my fosters went about 8 hours between kittens 5 & 6, and had a very obvious lump until kitten 6 arrived. I was a bit concerned about him at first as it looked like he had some meconium staining (sign of distress in labour) but he or she was fine.

Has she had a placenta for each kitten? And do you have a set of digital scales that weigh to the nearest gram? The best way of knowing that all is well is to weigh them at about the same time each day. Except (maybe) for the first day or two, and the odd day for the odd kitten, they should put on 10g or more each day.

Mum needs as much good-quality food to eat as she wants (could be 3x the normal amount), and you also need to worm the kittens at 3 weeks and 6 weeks with Panacur. At 9 weeks they are probably big enough for a kitten Milbemax along with their first injections. You can get Panacur on the Internet, and you do need to know how much the kittens weigh to give them the right dose. There are several different versions of Panacur - different strengths, liquid or paste) and I found the liquid horribly messy to use. Not sure if other folks have been able to compare liquid and paste.

17. lindseyd

Yep I will be getting a scales.
    She has already been wormed on panacur so will be getting it for the little kittens too.
    She has had some kitten food, not much. Is her appetite not going to be that much as she has only just given birth?
    Her stomach is noticeably thinner but still sagging a bit, could that be a kitten or milk?

#17 lindseyd, May 26, 2013
  18. crispycat

crispycat PetForums Member

are u going to keep all the kitten? :) is this her first litter? will u spay her after this? she is lovely looking!

19. lindseyd

I will be keeping one I think. It depends on the colours.

This is her 2nd litter. I've only had her for about 2 months. My friend had her before me but did not bother to spay her hence the two pregnancies.
    She will be going to the vets to be spayed in about 8 weeks.
    I didn't plan on her being pregnant but it was out of my control at the time.

Just a little impatient now to see if she has any more!

20. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If she ate the placentas they keep her going for a day or two, she should start eating normally and then more and more very soon.

Really cannot say about her stomach. Does it feel like she might have a kitten left? It was really obvious with the foster cat I had.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice