Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat hyperthyroidism

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by John McCormack, May 14, 2019.

1. John McCormack

John McCormack PetForums Newbie

Hi there, am hoping someone out there can offer advise.
    My elderly cat has in the last week been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and has since gone from having a very healthy appetite to only licking the jelly from his food.
    I thought it was perhaps a dental issue but he occasionally still eats a few biscuits.
    I know he has gone through picky periods with his food but never quite like this. He has now lost a considerable amount of weight in a short period of time.
    He still seems quite happy, likes to be fussed and will purr away happily.
    The vet has commenced him on 2.5mg Felimazole tablets twice a day, that is another battle I am struggling with.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. Unfortunately I don't have time for a long reply as about to pop out but look into thyronorm by Norbrook. It is a liquid version. The instructions say to put in their mouths but I used it for two years with my boy and it worked very well added to food. It doesn't taste unpleasant. Takes all the hassle away from trying to tablet them.

Weight loss us common due to increased metabolism. I found it helped to ensure the diet had a good protein content. Zooplus sells a range if good quality protein rich foods. Let us know if you want mire details.

It will be trial and error for a bit with meds till you find the perfect dose. That is normal and will require regular blood tests to work it out over the next six months.

Once properly medicated hyperthyroid cats can do really well.

Etienne, chillminx and Calvine like this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

chillminx and Calvine like this.
  4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

If the tablets are a desperate problem, ask you vet about transdermal gel (a bit more expensive I think, but at least you know he's got it). @kittih has already mentioned a liquid option of medication. I've had three with hyperthyroidism, and it is usually very manageable once the dose is sorted. The vet will likely want to check his BP from time to time as this can rocket sometimes and can occasionally cause blindness. Good luck.

#4 Calvine, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Soozi likes this.
  5. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hello John and welcome.
    How old is your cat?
    The medication might take a little while to kick in. It is often the case that cats with hyperthyroidism eat more but still lose weight. You could ask your Vet for an appetite stimulant?
    It is imperative that he gets his meds. This product is highly recommended and apparently works even better than pill pockets in getting meds into your cat.
    I hope more advice comes forward so keep looking in.
    Here’s the link to the pill putty but be best to check out different sites to see which has the best offers.
    https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/easypill-cat-putty

chillminx likes this.
  6. John McCormack

John McCormack PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply, it is real worry watching your pet struggle and not nothing how best to help. I will look out for thyronorm , he always seems to know when there is something irregular added to his food though, crafty creature.
    Will I be able to build his weight back up do you think?

7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I had one (male) who was always a decent weight, but the two girls tended to stay a bit skinny, despite eating really well.

8. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

My girl was on transdermal gel for 6 months. In the end, it failed to keep her levels steady and we are now on Felimazole tablets but definitely worth a try because my vet at the time had owners who used it successfully longterm. You do have to rub it on the inside of the ear flap for 30 seconds to ensure it is fully absorbed and you must use gloves while you apply it.

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

My friend has not long ago had his 11 yr old male go in for radio iodine treatment. It has been 100% successful no more meds and he also had a slight heart murmur which is now non existent. It’s an expensive treatment and not for all cats especially the elderly but might be worth consideration.

#9 Soozi, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Etienne and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice