Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat howling!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by IzzyTwig, Jun 29, 2014.

1. IzzyTwig

IzzyTwig PetForums Senior

I've just adopted a new dog and a few hours after bringing her home I heard this very bizarre noise coming from upstairs, like a high pitched but quiet howling noise. I though it was my new rescue dog but both dogs were asleep by my feet. So I went upstairs and turns out it was Zu my cat howling away.

What on earth? Since when can cats howl?

Of course when I went upstairs the dogs followed me, saw the howling cat and joined in. So I had all three animals sat with their heads flung back howling. Bonkers!

Anyone else with a cat that howls?

I'm wondering if she's trying to be more dog lol.

I also caught her giving a lecture to the two dogs, both dogs were backed into a corner looking confused with the cat sat in front of them chattering away. She's a bossy boots at times. Perhaps she was lecturing them on house rules and etiquette. It was certainly a funny sight, two big huskies being bossed around by a little cat. :p

2. Britt

Britt Missing you so much

Pooh meows in a certain way when he wants to go outdoors (meaning in the hallway since I don't have a garden) and it sounds like a howl. I read somewhere that older cats do that but he's only 3 :rolleyes:

3. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

One of my semi ferals howled when I put the radio on. Was supposed to calm him down!

4. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

I don't think "howling" is a strong enough word for the noise that Tiny makes when he is frightened by the hairdryer. It's dreadful, low-pitched, anguished wail that seems to come from the depths of hell, where tormented souls are imprisoned for all eternity. I couldn't believe I wasn't turned to stone on hearing it. He even carried it on for a good 30 seconds after I'd turned the hairdryer off, just so he could be sure I'd got the message.

I now dry my hair naturally, which is much better for both the condition of my hair and for my fragile, shattered nerves :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice