Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat holiday

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mariamousmummy, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Mariamousmummy

Mariamousmummy PetForums Junior

I'm planning to try to take my two cats on holiday with me, I'll be renting a holiday cottage and traveling by car. They are both used to car travel but I was wondering if anyone has any hints or tips about holidaying with cats? Any dos and donts??

Thanks

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Keep them indoors the whole time at the cottage - far too risky to allow them out in a strange place.

If the journey will be longer than e.g. an hour and a half I'd get a folding dog crate and set that up on the back seat. Then you can put in a small litter tray and a bowl of water. (This is assuming the two cats get along well enough to share a dog crate together). Put a blanket and puppy pads on the floor of the crate.

If you are going to use individual carriers, put a layer of puppy pads in each carrier so if either of the cats were to have a wee, poo or vomit incident on the journey you can stop somewhere safe and just remove the soiled top pad and bin it, leaving the clean pads underneath.

Avoid feeding the cats for 4 hours before the journey so their tummies are empty. That will avoid them vomiting food, although as they are already used to car travel they may not suffer from motion sickness anyway.

I hope all goes well. :) I recall 40 years ago taking 4 of my previous cats by car from London to Cornwall to a rented cottage. The journey in those days (prior to the motorway) took 6 hours! My OH made 2 large mesh crates for them, and I put 2 cats to a crate. One of the cats cried the whole journey. :( The other 3 slept the whole time. They loved being at the cottage with us. :)

Soozi and MissMiloKitty like this.
  3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Most cats don’t use litter trays when travelling, even on long 24 hour journeys so regular crates tend to be fine. Great yours are already used to car travel, hope you have a lovely holiday.

4. Shane Kent

Shane Kent Banned

You need to provide more details. Are they timid cats that would likely hate a change in life or laid back? How long is it to the cottage? Do they sleep in your bed?

If they are timid and sleep in your bed I would take your pillows, blankets, etc and put them on the bed when you get there to make it familiar. That sort of stuff. When you get there if there is an ideal room for the cats, cat proof it (lock/block outside exits, remove breakables, etc).

MaggieDemi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice