Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat hiding

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Agha123, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Agha123

Agha123 PetForums Junior

Hi,

My cat has had a couple of traumatic visits to the vet. Traumatic because its a struggle to get him into the cat carrier. He was kept overnight for 2 nights and then we had to force feed him his thyroid and antibiotic tablets when we got him home, plus another check up visit.

Since we got him back he wont come out from under our bed until its dark. He then sleeps out in the open room on a rug during the night. He used to always go out and we would open the door to let him out but he wont even go downstairs.

We are very worried about him! Any advice?

ExD likes this.
  2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I think he's probably just over anxious about the whole thing if he's a nervous cat. If you are still force feeding him then he won't want to come out knowing this is going to happen every day. I have a nervous girl and she would react like this. Can you put them in his food or use a pill popper? The fact he comes out during the night says he feels happier when you've gone to bed and its quiet. Have you got further vet visits ahead? Assuming it isn't because he is feeling unwell, then hopefully he will get better and get back to normal once things quieten down. Another thought is, if he doesn't like being given tablets, could you ask your vet if there is an alternative.

Etienne and ExD like this.
  3. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

I feel for you.
    I have a feral (well ex feral in that she eats and sleeps in the house). She's 6 years old but I haven't even been able to stroke her since I put her in the carrier had her spayed. I can't worm her or de-flea her unless I put it in her food - and then she rejects the food. Her sister is fine and plays and is petted and stroked and sleeps on the bed and is easy to medicate, but this one refuses to trust us. I dread to think what I'll do if she gets ill, at the moment I drop spot-on onto her neck when she's feeding and hope for the best.
    Plug-ins make no difference.
    They were dumped along with their mother at the farm gate and we took them in and fed them, but the mother disappeared and a third kitten died (he was tiny and dehydrated but we couldn't save him) the vet thought they can only have been about 5 weeks old.
    So persevere with your fraidy-cat and tempt her to eat treats from your fingers (I've got that far) and, like me, hope she forgives you. i think she will eventually - good luck.
    We've had several cats dumped here, I suppose its one step better than dumping them in the canal - but its heart breaking. We usually try to integrate them with the farm cats but as these had their mother with them we thought they'd be better off in the house.
    We'll never know if the mother died, or thought 'job done' and scarpered. What possesses people to do this?

Etienne likes this.
  4. Agha123

Agha123 PetForums Junior

Thanks. that makes me feel a bit better. We are crushing the tablets and Harvey appears to be spending more time not hiding under the bed. He actually meows to say stroke me/play with me/brush me! :) So much more like the normal Harvey.

#4 Agha123, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Charity likes this.
  5. Agha123

Agha123 PetForums Junior

Hi. Thanks for the message. Harvey is slowly but surely venturing out from under the bed much more! We are still trying to get him used to a new cat food for cats with kidney problems. SO still stressful times but he is getting better :)

Charity and Treaclesmum like this.
  6. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Well done. What is he taking for his kidneys? New food AND crushed up tablets is a big change for him. One of mine used to take a whole pill covered in raw sausage meat (like a scotch egg) but sorry to say her sister ate the meat and spat out the pill. :Cat Worth a try.

7. Agha123

Agha123 PetForums Junior

New food. We are trying lots of different new food. He isn’t taking to any of them really well. His tablet is for his overactive thyroid. Cats and pills don’t go together.

8. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Have you tried the Pill Putty? It's soft enough to mould around the pill so you give it to them like a treat. It's supposed to taste like chicken.

9. Agha123

Agha123 PetForums Junior

Hi. Yes we tried that first. The way he chews meant he would eat the putty but the pill always ended up popping out.

ExD likes this.
  10. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

If she's due a pill, I give the putty as I would treats which she gobbles up, and give the spiked putty treat quickly followed by a genuine treat. She so eager to get to that last treat she hardly notices the spiked one.
    They're too clever for their own good sometimes!!!:)

Agha123 likes this.
  11. Agha123

Agha123 PetForums Junior

Thanks. And arnt they just ?

12. Janeylo

Janeylo PetForums Junior

Hi Agha123
    Our cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last October. She’s a devil for taking tablets and as getting the condition under control is important we didn’t want the hit and miss of trying to hide it in foods. Vet recommended Thyronorm liquid which she took to instantly. We put it on a spoon with a few drops of Yumega oil and she saw it as a treat. So for once claims that a medication is palatable were true! Sasha had radioactive iodine treatment in January and the condition was cured so she no longer has that medication but now has low level kidney problems. Apparently the hyperthyroidism can mask this. We have started Sasha on Royal Canin renal 24. It’s a dry food (she has never eaten wet) and she loves it.
    Good luck and I’m sure you’ll find something that works for Harvey.

Agha123 and Soozi like this.
  13. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

That's it, isn't it?
    What works for one doesn't work for them all, bless 'em.

14. Agha123

Agha123 PetForums Junior

Update on Harvey.

He is not hiding under the bed anymore. He ventures outside 3/4 times a day and he is a little playful too. So all good.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Soozi likes this.
  15. Barry_Shitpeas

Barry_Shitpeas PetForums Newbie

How is Harvey taking the pills? Is he taking them ok? There's a cream called Methimazole Transdermal gel that you apply to the cats ear. I found that far more better than force feeding pills etc. I really hope he's on the mend and lifes veru good for him :)

16. Agha123

Agha123 PetForums Junior

Hi. That’s very useful information. Makes me wonder when we told the vets about the pill feeding problem they didn’t inform us about the medicine you can apply to the ear.
    Harvey is on the mend thanks. He isn’t hiding anymore and ventures outside again.

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice