Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Health Issue

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ghosty, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ghosty

ghosty PetForums Newbie

Hi there

One of my cats (she'a one and half years old) is usually very active, she goes out most of the day and it usually running around in the house when she is inside.

The last 4 days or so though, she has done little but lie down, or sleep. The only time she ever moves is to eat and usually she eats a lot but now she just has a nibble then goes back to lying down somewhere.

She is also starting to lose a lot of hair, when I stroke her a few times there's always a lot of hairs which come off. There's no specific area in which she is balding it's just general fur loss.

Other than looking and feeling weaker and lethargic, along with the above mentioned symptoms, there are no other changes to her physically.

Before I take her to the vet I just wanted to know if any of you have come across these kind of symptoms and give me a heads up as to what she might have.

If there's anything I may have missed out, please ask and I'll try to reply with the information.

Thanks guys.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! And welcome to the pf!

I am wondering whether the two are unrelated - some cats are really shedding their winter coat now that it has finally started warming up.

It almost sounds as though she may run a fever. Considering that this has gone on for a while I would take her to the vet tomorrow. They will probably give her an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory.

Two of my cats had something similar not long ago - they were not eating properly and lethargic (had a fever - i have got on of those ear thermometres for pets) but everything else was fine. Weird.

I would say vet - tomorrow! Cats do need to eat - so them not eating is a worry.

And keep us updated!

3. ghosty

ghosty PetForums Newbie

Thanks a lot for the reply Hobbs, unfortunately my local vet isn't open until Friday but I will take her there for the second it opens.

I'm really hoping it's something minor and easily treatable.

Damn cats, why do they have to be so loveable

4. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

you need her to see a vet hun, it really could be anything.

It would really help the vet if you could write down all her symptoms

e.g. lethargy, lack of appetite, hair loss (although this could be the season it worth mentioning)

The vet will probably want to know some other things too:

indoor/outdoor
    any changes to the household (new cleaning products, or upheavals)
    litter tray/toileting habits... have they changed? pooing normally?
    reproductive status (speyed or entire... if entire when was her last call)
    vaccination status (up to date?)
    when she was last wormed & de flead
    normal habits (so they know jsut how much its changed)
    food type and routine

Sorry i cant be more help, but its pointless guessing. I would get her to the vets and go armed with as much info for the vet as you can.

Fingers crossed its just the heat or some other really daft thing and nothing to worry about.

dont forget to keep us updated

xx

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ok - Friday it is.

In the meantime, you will need to make sure that she is eating and drinking. Can you get some fresh chicken, heat it up a little and serve her that with a little cooking water or just water if you are lightly frying it? Alternatively, can you see whether she will eat some tuna?

Cats need to eat otherwise their liver suffers irreversibly.

6. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

agreed, she really needs to eat. Is there no other vet you can take her to tomorrow?

one top tip to gauge how much she is eating.

weigh the food and the bowl before putting it down for her, and weigh it after mealtime to see how much she has eaten.

7. ghosty

ghosty PetForums Newbie

Hi again guys,

I woke up Friday morning and she was outside sunbathing. Seems she's made a full recovery almost overnight. She's spent most of today outside as well back to her normal routine :D

Thanks a lot guys for all your time and advice, I'm really glad I never had to take her to the vet though.

8. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

It may have been due to warmer weather. I've noticed my two are only interested in eating around 11pm or 6am. They are also both are losing fur again as it's been warmer. My male is mostly black and the heat has always bothered him.

If it happens again when it's warmer, try putting small amounts of wet down every two hours (or whatever you can do). Mine show renewed interest if they see me at their cat food bowls. Also, water should always be available. I don't generally feed milk, but my male loves it, so he has a little when it's warmer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice