Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat hates kitten and now us!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by reemslaw, Sep 17, 2013.

1. reemslaw

reemslaw PetForums Newbie

Hi all

My girlfriend and I adopted a kitten last November, who we named Loki. She is gorgeous but isn't the friendliest girl, has always been a bit distant and everything is on her terms. She has developed a bond with us, for example, when we get home from work she would run in miaowing and purring lots, sometimes rolling over and letting us stroke her nice belly! So definitely trust there.

We moved house 3 weeks ago, and figured this would be a good time to get another kitten, because Loki wouldn't have a territory as such. We introduced them immediately, (I know, big mistake) but then kept the little one separate in our bedroom after that for a few days.

Loki hated her from the start, and we did worry that she would go for her if we left them alone free in the house. She did get a bit better after the first week, and they share the same litter tray now and eat very close to each other, but they don't play together and if the little one gets too close, Loki will swipe and hiss and growl at her.

Now the little one, who we named Nova, is pretty much always sat with us, and Loki is just miserable. She used to be really vocal and happy, but now she is silent and doesn't come anywhere near us. Loki wouldnt sit with us before, so she cant be jealous, and she does follow Nova around and just watches her constantly.

We know they might not ever be friends, but we would like to make Loki feel better and go back to her happy self.

Sorry for the long post.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi there, if you introduced Loki and Nova to the new house at exactly the same time, i.e. both on the very same day, then I would have expected things to have worked out better, as you say Loki would not have had the chance to establish her own territory in the new place.

However, remember that for cats, their humans are a part of their *territory* too, and some cats do not like sharing their humans at all.

It is apparent from what you say that Loki feel very pushed out by the newcomer. Loki may not have chosen to spend much time sitting with you before, but the fact is you were available for her if she wanted you, and she knew she had the option. Now, as she sees it, you are busy with Nova all the time.

What you need to do is to give lots of time and attention to Loki (on her terms) so she feels wanted and loved, and stops feeling pushed out. One of you should spend time alone with Loki, playing interactively with her, (with wand toys, fishing rod toys and laser light etc) and fussing her (if she will allow it) as well as giving her treats. The other one should be in a different room entertaining Nova in a different room. Both cats will benefit from one to one attention from you both. You need to keep this up diligently every day or evening for several weeks to see the benefit. Loki may be unresponsive at first, as her feelings are hurt, but persevere and she will come round.

Loki is still young (not yet a year old ?), and if you can put in the time and effort to reassuring her, then you will be rewarded by a much happier Loki.
    It is possible in time you could get both cats happily playing interactively with you. They are more likely to learn to get along if they both learn to play with you at the same time, but it will take patience and kindness to achieve this.

I do hope little Loki gets her voice back soon and becomes a much happier cat.

#2 chillminx, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice