Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat has suddenly started attacking dog.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Deleted member 1516454, Jan 13, 2021.

1. ...

#1 Deleted member 1516454, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:43 PM
  2. ...

#2 Deleted member 1516454, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:43 PM
  3. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Member

oh dear :( sounds stressful. I’m no expert but could it be a case of redirected aggression? Article mainly talks about happening between two cats but I presume it can happen between a dog and cat too.

https://iaabc.org/cat/redirected-aggression-in-cats

#3 pennycat, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  4. Thanks for sharing the article. It does sound very similar to the what is happening.

5. pennycat

Do you remember anything happening when you got back from the walk with lucky that might have caused it? Loud noise or anything?

6. pennycat

7. Nope, nothing at all out of the ordinary. I’m hoping it’s the upper respiratory tract infection that made her act out of character and we will be done treating that by the weekend.

If anyone has any tips on how best to let them meet again that would be super helpful. Just remember that the last two occasions when it’s happened she actively attacks him as soon as she sees him. There is no moments of calm. It literally goes from zero to 100. The next time they meet which is in 4 days time they would have been apart for a week.

#7 Deleted member 1516454, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2021
  8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You need to spay your cat. 8 years of endless heat cycles is likely behind this behavior. It's cruel. I can't imagine why your vet has not suggested this.

Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  9. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Yes, it does sound like redirected aggression. Your cat does need neutering, though, asap. It might not cure her aggression, but she will generally be a happier cat.

Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Leaving a female house cat un-neutered until she is 8 years old is very unwise indeed and poses a serious risk to her health. What can the vet be thinking of!

Not being spayed and being unable to get outdoors, find a mate and become pregnant means Buttons has been going through endless heat cycles (as said above) and is therefore at very high risk of a nasty womb infection called pyometra. The chances are this is what may be wrong with her, not just a respiratory infection.

https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/reproductive/signs-pyometra-cats

If a cat is unwell, they may certainly act out of character. Buttons feels vulnerable and this causes her to see Lucky as a threat to her safety hence the attacks.

My advice is to get Buttons spayed urgently for the sake of her health. I am very concerned that she may indeed have pyometra. If so the only cure for her is neutering. It is a nasty disease and can be fatal. Please do not delay.

Keep Buttons apart from Lucky all the time until Buttons is better after her spay op.. Then reintroduce them, slowly.

#10 chillminx, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  11. I will be completely honest with you all. I didn’t realise your cat needed to be spayed if they were an indoor cat. She is booked in to be spayed at the end of February this is the next available time they can do it due to covid and back log they are dealing with.

The vet examined her last Thursday when I took her to the vet because of the incident with Lucky.

12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'm glad! I recommend you keep them separated until after she's recovered from her surgery.

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am glad you are getting her spayed, but I am worried it is so far ahead - 6 weeks! Especially as she is behaving out of character to Lucky, it really does suggest she is ill.

If it were me I would want her spayed sooner, for her health. Do you think there may be another vet practice near you who could offer an appointment for surgery sooner?

If not I suppose you will just have to keep a close eye on her and if her health worsens then insist the vet spays her sooner than the end of Feb.

O2.0, lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d ring the vet and explain you’re concerned about pyometra and they will hopefully bump her up the queue as it’s not something that can wait.

chillminx, O2.0 and lorilu like this.
  15. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Yes, they should. For the benefit of others who may read this, the risks are:
    1. Breast cancer. Much more common in unspayed cats, and the risk goes up a little each time she calls.
    2. Pyometra - uterine infection. A cat without a uterus can't get an injection in it, and there is a small risk each time she calls as the cervix opens a little.
    3. Pregnancy. This is because unspayed cats can get desperate to escape, should they do so the consequence almost always is a pregnancy with all the risks that entails.

16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

In addition to the excellent advice you've gotten about your cat, and I agree, she needs to be spayed now, not in 6 weeks.
    But in addition to that, your poor dog :(
    Please have him looked over too. If she is attacking him as aggressively as you describe, he may have bite wounds that are notorious for getting infected.
    I would worry about his emotional state too. Poor guy got attacked which as you say has upset him greatly and caused him to be on edge, and on top of that he's having to leave his home. That has to be incredibly stressful. Please make sure he's getting plenty of opportunities to diffuse that stress with plenty of relaxed, sniffy walks, chews, and other things he likes. Maybe bring his comfort items to the home he's staying at, like beds or crate if he uses one. Familiar bowls and toys. That sort of thing. Poor guy must be so confused and disoriented!

17. I will make sure that she is spayed. I called another vet today to try and get her booked sooner but they are not carrying out any neutering to unregistered animals. I swear on my life I never knew that it was something you should get done. My naive mind thought as she was a house cat it wasn’t required. The guilt I have felt the last few days has had me sobbing as I would never intentionally want to put her at risk. I will make sure to get that done as soon as I can. Thanks for the advice everyone.

18. Myself and my ex share Lucky and have done since we separated 4 years ago. So he is staying there as he does every week for a few days so he is a somewhere where he would feel comfortable and safe. I had him out a big walk today. Obviously returning him to my ex’s so that Buttons can have some time to herself to properly recuperate. He is such a placid wee soul. We have checked him over and all seems ok.

chillminx and O2.0 like this.
  19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh that's excellent that he's in a familiar place.
    I would still keep a very close eye on him. Puncture wounds from cat bites are notorious for not showing up (particularly on a black dog as you might not see the little blood or redness) and they fester in to very painful abscesses.
    These have a way of being fine for a few days and then getting very ugly very fast. If he were mine I would check him over carefully feeling for any warm areas, raised skin, or sticky fur. Watch him for soreness too.

20. Thank you I have just forwarded this on to my ex. So he will have a proper look. Thanks again.

chillminx and O2.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice