Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat has shaved spot on head?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Shania Webb, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Shania Webb

Shania Webb PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I don’t know if anyone can make any suggestions as to what this is. My cat is an outdoors cat and we’ve seen him go in to other houses throughout the day, but always comes back to us at least once a day. Yesterday, he was fine. Then today he has come home and we’ve noticed this large bald spot on his head that was flat at first. He was very docile and seemed like he wanted to be alone, so he’s been sleeping under a bed for the whole day. We’ve looked again and now it appears swollen & red, and almost dented. Obviously we will be taking him to the vets ASAP but just wanted some thoughts on what people think it might be? I’m worried as he is 14 now and getting a bit slower.

Attached Files:

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If that was my cat I would have had him at the vets by now ,poor lad .
    He needs to be seen by your vet ASAP .

Lurcherlad, gskinner123 and chillminx like this.
  3. Shania Webb

Shania Webb PetForums Newbie

Yes I know our vet doesn’t open til 4pm tomorrow :(

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Lurcherlad, Babyshoes and buffie like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This cant wait until 4pm tomorrow If you are in the UK all vets must , by law , provide Out of Hours veterinary care.
    If you cant access care from your own vet then please phone round other surgeries.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It does looks as though his head has been shaved as you say. Perhaps someone found him injured and bleeding and took him to the vet. There is a dark mark on the edge of the shaved part, is it a cut or a bite?

We do not know what has happened to him and he could be suffering from a nasty injury. If it were my cat I would want him seen by a vet urgently so I would know what is wrong with him. The poor cat could be in awful pain - cats are very good at hiding pain.

If you are in the UK can you take him to an Out of Hours vet tonight? If this is impossible there are plenty of UK vets open on a Saturday morning you do not need to wait until 4 pm.
    Try Vets4Pets who are based in the Pets at Home stores. But please get him seen as soon as possible, it is urgent.

#6 chillminx, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Lurcherlad and buffie like this.
  7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

An abscess is possible in which case it will be painful

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

How did you get on at the vets today ?
    I hope your boy is feeling better now .

9. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Ouch looks sore, it could be a Pore of Winer which is a large pore on top of a cats head which can sometimes swell up and form a cyst. The Vet should be able to help him heal.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Those growths are usually quite raised aren't they? They contain keratin and one I saw on a cat in the Rescue looked like a little horn growing out of his head.

Though it wouldn't account for how the OP's cat came to have a shaved head :confused:

11. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

When my cat had a very swollen paw last month, the vet asked for permission to shave him to enable them to look for injuries. They found he had been bitten and had an abscess, they burst it to remove puss and pressure, put him on antibiotics and it all seemed to heal up nicely. Following his injury he hid and was very quiet. Maybe the same has happened to this cat, with a neighbour taking him in to see the vet, or maybe not?

It would be good to hear back how this cat got on.

Treaclesmum and Cully like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice