Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat has runny nose in one nostril

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Valeara, May 29, 2018.

1. Valeara

Valeara PetForums Newbie

Hi my cat 4 year old male cat has a runny nose just in his right nostril, he has had it for about 3 months. I took him the vet about a month and a half ago and they said it could be a virus and gave him some probitics. I saw some improvement but now it seems to be at a stand still. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Valeara and welcome :)

If your cat has a virus I am not sure how probiotics will help other than perhaps improving his digestive health. Does he have a loose stool or diarrhoea?

If it is a virus then it will go in its own time and all you can really do is to keep your cat as stress free as possible, and on a healthy wet food (or raw food) diet.

However there are sometimes 'secondary infections' with viruses. Has the vet ruled out an upper respiratory infection (URI) causing the runny nose? Have swabs been taken from inside his nose for testing at the lab?

If a URI is definitely ruled out then the runny nose might be due to an allergy in the environment e.g. scented laundry liquid used to wash your bedding or the cat's, household chemical cleaners, any perfumes, plug-in scent diffusers, scented candles, cut flowers, dust mites, hairsprays, indoor plants etc. If you remove all those from your house you may see an improvement in your cat.

3. Valeara

Valeara PetForums Newbie

Hi thankyou for your reply,

No his stool has been perfectly fine.

The vet mentioned that it may be cat flu, but would it take this long to get over cat flu?

and as it is just one nostril this makes me think that it might not be allergies?

im going to book an appointment at the vet again for a follow up

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

"Cat flu" is a general term for several feline viruses or bacterial respiratory illnesses. The most common viral cause of cat flu is the Feline Herpesvirus.(FHV1). Or the Feline Calicivirus.(FCV)

Your cat may have had one of these infections as a kitten, and recovered from it, but symptoms of the illness can keep reoccurring throughout the cat's life at times of stress, or if the cat is in poor health for some other reason. There is a 'sticky' (pinned thread) on the topic of persistent cat flu, kindly posted by our forum vet Ceiling Kitty, which you may find helpful to read :

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/persistant-cat-flu.443886/

Summercat likes this.
  5. Valeara

Valeara PetForums Newbie

Thankyou I have had a read through that,
    I wondered if allergies or bacterial infection can just cause symptoms in one nostril?
    As i have started thinking the worst that it may be cancer as its just affecting the one nostril

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

He is only a young cat, and I don't think there is any reason at this point to worry about it being cancer. I think there are other things which should be ruled out first.

I do think it's possible an allergy or cat flu could cause symptoms in just one nostril. One of my cats probably had Feline Herpesvirus as a kitten and has been left with some chronic symptoms, one of which is that he gets bouts of watery discharge from only one eye.

If it were me I would want to ask the vet if a course of antibiotics could be tried to see it if it helps.

7. Valeara

Valeara PetForums Newbie

Ok i will ask my vet about antibiotics, I will also eliminate any environmental allergies in the meantime and see if that helps.

Thankyou for all your advice

chillminx likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Please let us know how things go @Valeara :)

9. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Is your cat a specific breed, @Valeara ?

I ask as some breeds such as British Shorthair can have problems with their sinuses, because of their facial structure. This may mean more watering of eyes and/or nose. So nothing major, not harmful, just the way they can be!

10. Valeara

Valeara PetForums Newbie

Hi no he is just a domestic shorthair, but im not exactly sure on his breed as we took him in as a stray.

I took him to the vet today and they have gave him some antibiotics and probiotics again. They said it is probably a form of cat flu but there may be a secondary infection as well.

Hopefully i see some improvement with him

11. Valeara

Valeara PetForums Newbie

Hi I thought i would give an update about how things are going, it might be helpful for others.

After my cat has been on antibiotics he has greatly improved, I noticed improvement after the 3rd day of antibiotics, the amount of snot and sneezing started the go down, the snot started to turn clear in colour as it was yellowish before hand.

Now his nose looks so much better and healthy and he has brightened up in himself.

I am just hoping its a case where it stays better and doesnt reoccur as i know that can happen.

He has been suffering from loose bowel movements due to the antibiotics, but i have started him on probiotics to help his stomach go back to normal.

Thankyou for the advice on here!

Summercat and chillminx like this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

This is very good news. :) Thank you for letting us know. I hope he continues to make good progress. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice