Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat has problems peeing after being hit by car.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Shannon McQuillan, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Shannon McQuillan

Shannon McQuillan PetForums Newbie

My 10 month old cat, Elvis, was hit by a car on Saturday. He took 4 days to make his way home, and we took him straight to the vet to have an X-ray. It showed that he have several fractures, including a broken hip as well as a suspected broken tail (it may need to be amputated).

The vet said that all this will take time, but it will be able to heal. However the problems is that he’s not urinating alone. They suspect he may have nerve damage and he’s being expressed at the moment, but it could be bruising or stress. They said they’ll keep him a week, but if he doesn’t urinate alone, he’ll be put to sleep.

I just don’t know what to do; he’s a bright, young cat whose happy with life even while he’s in pain now. I don’t know if it would be best to put him down, it literally breaks my heart to even think about it.is a week long enough? Should I fight to give him longer, or am I just prolonging the inevitable?

Also, as he was expressed 5 days after he went missing, surely he would have been ill from not peeing for that long? Can cats not pee for that long and not not get ill? I’m hoping that he’s still able to urinate alone, and it’s just the stress or bruising that causing his problems.

Thanks for any response

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I would wait a lot longer than a week before considering pts. The vets can show you how to express him yourself at home, right now he will have a lot of bruising which could take several weeks to completely resolve and until it has his final outcome can't be known. Bruising takes time to develop so he might have been able to pee for a day or two after his accident.

chillminx, TriTri and Animalfan like this.
  3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@Ceiling Kitty who is an experienced vet has previously provided a very informative post on this difficult situation, I wonder if the search function would bring it up for you?

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice