Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat hairloss

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mandy2011, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mandy2011

mandy2011 PetForums Newbie

Hi was just wandering if you might be able to help 2 of our cats (sisters) have started loosing the fur round the back end and belly 1 is really bad, we have been to the vet with them who did blood tests and gave them a steroid injection (which has done nothing) they said it is most likely fleas but we frontline them on a monthly basis, any advice on what this could be? Our other 2 cats that aren't related to these 2 don't have this problem at all.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I recommend you get a second opinion with a different vet.

It could be food allergy, what are you feeding?

3. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Could it be stress-related? Any recent trauma or shock?
    I read somewhere that feline alopecia can be a genetic thing, which could explain why the two related cats are affected.

#3 koekemakranka, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with lorilu that a second opinion would be a good idea.I also think the stress related theory is a great possibility.I had a semi feral cat living in a shed in the garden.Because of house cats was not encouraged to come into the house but when they were no longer with us he was allowed,on his terms to come in.He wanted to be in with us but he found it stressful and groomed himself bald on his underside and hocks.This stopped once he became settled as an indoor/outdoor cat.So it may be worth thinking whether there could be anything upsetting your cats or changed in their environment.

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Yes, it's not uncommon for siblings to have the same symptoms where allergies are concerned!

Have you noticed them overgrooming? Considering the location of the bald spots, flea allergy too would have been my first thought though I'm surprised the steroid didn't work but don't forget it will take the hair a while to grow back and perhaps this might explain why you didn't see 'instant' results? Also it only takes one bite to set off the allergic reaction.

Which frontline are you using? There have been reports about the efficacy of the non-prescription Frontline and flea immunity to it and instead I would switch them to another prescription product from the vets. Don't forget to treat the environment as well!

6. mandy2011

The steroids were given over a month ago but was only given to one cat as one of the sisters is allergic to a lot of stuff so they wouldn't risk it (last time they treated her for something they put her into renal failure) we have been using the non prescription frontline spot on, so I will try a prescription one from the vets. Not sure about stress could be we moved about 6 months ago they seemed fine then it's only recent, and they do groom each other quite a lot

7. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How old are they then? Is this the first instance of this? I would firstly investigate and eliminate the flea allergy and if it still persists then move on to food as the next possible culprit because in some cases a failure to respond to steroid treatment ( though you'd need more than one injection to judge the response rate ) would point to food involvement. What are you feeding them at the moment?

Out of interest, what was your kitty prescribed that lead to renal failure?

8. mandy2011

They are 4 and yes this is the first instance of this they are currently being fed orijen dry with the occasional treat of some meat.
    As for the renal failure i'm not sure what it was (there my partners cats and it happened before I met him) all I know is she had just had an operation so i'm not sure if it was something to do with that! But now they won't treat until they have tested her to make sure she won't have the same reaction

9. peecee

peecee PetForums Senior

Have you considered some Feliway plug ins in the event it is stress related?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice