Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat had an Xray this morning...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by laura325630, Apr 20, 2011.

1. laura325630

laura325630 PetForums Newbie

We adopted our lovely 4 year old cat last week and since Saturday she hasnt been right. She has been off her food, very quiet and miserable. She has also been coughing as though she has a hairball.

I took her in this morning and the vet could feel a large lump in her stomach. They have xrayed her today and my other half is going in later. They asked us to go and 'discuss the findings'

This is the first pet that I have owned (others have been family pets). Do they tell you any news over the phone? Is it likely to be bad news if they want us to go in?

I am so very worried, I know we have only had her for a week but she is already very much part of our family.

Many thanks.

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I must be absolutely honest and say it does sound a bit concerning. If the lump the vet felt proved to be what they think is something quite easily treatable then most (and I stress *most* but not all) vets would give you that information asap as they know you're sitting at home worrying.

But please don't think the absolute worst. She's a young cat, added to which it's very hopeful they just want to explain the situation (which vets don't have the time for over the telephone and it obviously wouldn't be the 'proper' thing for them to do) and discuss some treatment options with you.

Do let us know how she is... she's very young so I'd be quite hopeful it's something perfectly treatable.

3. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Firstly, well done to your vets for their prompt action in having the X-Ray!

X-Rays will only help to identify the presence of masses or obstructions ( not all of which are malignant ) but they won't tell you the exact nature of them-you'll need a biopsy for a definitive diagnosis!

Also it not so much a case of what the diagnosis is as much as how treatable it is so hopefully your vet explained the treatment options. I'd imagine with an enlarged mass, surgery would be one of them.

Let us know how your meeting went!

4. laura325630

Thanks for your reply.

It turns out she is constipated and has swelling because of it. We have special food and drops for her and another check up next week.

Thank goodness it wasnt anything serious although I think this is going to take a while to sort out.

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Im glad its nothing nasty & you can enjoy her now :D x

6. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Glad it wasn't anything too serious! What did they give you, liquid paraffin or Lactulose sol?
    The latter is stronger, but the former is easier to give as you can stick it on their food and they won't taste a thing, as with the lactulose you have to give it using a syringe :blink:

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

So very glad that it has turned out not to be too serious. Great news.

Sounds like a long happy life together is on the cards for you all.

Now where are the piccies??????? :D :D

8. laura325630

Thanks all. We have liquid parrafin and Royal Canin food and its seems to be working. Today she is much happier. A check up is booked for Wednesday so fingers crossed its better.

Such a relief, after only a week she is a big part of our family already :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice