Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat growling with toys

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Yorkshirecats, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Yorkshirecats

Yorkshirecats PetForums Member

Hello

I have 2 wonderful boisterous 7 month siblings, both neutered, male & female. We play with them with a variety of toys, danglers, kickeroo's, balls, catnip mice etc. The issue is, is that the male gets rather possessive over certain toys (like the fishing rods/dangle toys) and will snatch them/break them and run off with the bit on the end (be it a fish/bird) then will hide in the corner growling at the other cat or me or my partner. He sounds like a dog!

Obviously he is thinking it is his prey and being possessive with it- but is this normal? What can I do to make play more inclusive for the both of them and stop the growling? I'd hate to have to play with them separately, or for him to be a bully to the other cat and snatch all the toys.

Any advise appreciated!

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Perfectly normal....some cats behave the same way when fed raw meat too.
    Perhaps you and OH could each play with a cat in separate areas so the boy can 'kill' his prey while the girl gets to keep on playing?

chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Playing with toys is hunting practice to a cat. :). Most cats are instinctively highly protective of any real prey they catch and would not share it with another cat, not even a sibling. Some kittens really get into the spirit of things when playing with their toys, and act as though they have real prey. I think it is really sweet when they growl over their toys possessively. Shows they have good natural instincts. ;) One of my young cats used to growl a lot over her toys as a kitten but grew out of it. (but continues to growl in warning whenever the front door bell rings, haha :D).

In the past I have had cats who growled over their meals of raw meat. Again, it was just a warning to everyone (cats, humans) to keep their distance. :)

I agree with Paddypaws - one human to play with each kitten separately is best. Many kittens (and cats) do not like playing games with their humans when there is another cat around, and this includes siblings who play happily with each other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice