Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Grooming

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MADCAT, Apr 15, 2011.

1. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Tootsie my blue persian is suffering at the min with a few matts, she is groomed daily but every day she seems to have new matts. They are mostly on her belly and in her armpits, She is a timid cat and can get quite agressive and will snap at me when I do groom her.
    I have called a couple of groomers who refuse to let me stay with her if I take her to be groomer, I dont really like the thought of her being sedated to be shaved and was thinking of shaving her belly myself, As anyone ever done this and what would you recommend?

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Hi there

If she'll let you groom her even a little, then get some baby talc and work a little into the knots with your fingers. This helps cut the grease and gets rid of the static that causes tangling. It will make them easier to come out. If she continues to suffer with them, then talc her every now and again. How often do you wash her? Regular bathing also cuts down on knots.

3. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Hiya, I used Talc on her last night, I cant bath her properly as she is really agressive and gets stressed out easy so I use a foam shampoo on her and dry her with a towel. I have looked on chapelhouse persian rescue and they seem to offer clippers so I might clip her belly fur down a little.

4. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I would be very careful using clippers on the tummy its very easy to nick the skin there - I'm a cat groomer and I still hate shaving tums! I usually try teasing out gently first, with the cat still standing, and reach under with my fingers to tease out. If I've got the owner with me, sometimes they will help hold the cat up so I can deal with the tummy area, but if your cat is really that aggressive, that might not be an option.

The little wahl pocket pro trimmers are quite good, but they do quiet a close cut (so you'd need to be very careful not to cut nipples off!!) Pocket Pro Battery Trimmer , you might be able to do a bit at a time.

I wouldnt get her wet at all, as she already has knots, water will only shrink the knots and make them 10 times worse to get out, but as Carly mentioned, bathing (and blow drying) is a good way of avoiding knots in the first place. I've had some cats who have never been used to being groomed with a comb and brush and were aggressive with their owners, but were perfectly happy to bathed and dried :) .

5. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

we clipped our raggys tummy just before she had her kittens.. but we used dog clippers..the type they use at grooming salons.

sometimes if you stay to watch your pet cat/dog getting clipped at a groomers.. they tend to play up even more than they would anyway.. this is probably why the groomers wouldnt let you stay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice