Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat gravy

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ClaireLily, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Has anyone ever used this? I saw it on a couple of pet food supply websites this afternoon, it sounds like a great way to introduce cats to a dry diet. My elder eats mainly dry with one portion of wet a day, the two kittens are not so keen on dry (lazyness me thinks) so I thought rather than starve them into eating it I could try this, I'm sure its full of cr*p and not at all nutritious but if in the long run they start eating the dry with one portion of wet it might be worth it?

2. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I would continue feeding them wet if thats what they like. If you are already feeding them a complete wet food it isnt necessary for them to have dry as well.

Its not a good idea to soak dry food anyway, as soon as dry food gets wet bacteria starts to multiply. :)

3. ClaireLily

Apart from the benefits of dry for their teeth I'm also keen on it for financial reasons. They are going through about 8 pouches of wet food (at least 60 % meat) a day which is £2 per kitten par day, not much said like that but over a month its nearly £50 per kitten.
    Tiff's food which is 60p a day for her wet (tin applaws), the dry is £7 for 2kg, its complete and is minimum 40 % meat and works out about 35p per day so a total of £27 a month thats nearly half. I wouldn't usually even start to calculate feeding costs but I have just been made redundant and rather than start to feed them cheap rubbish I'd prefer to keep using good stuff which is also affordable.

The cats won't suffer its us who will be on beans on toast if it comes to it, I just wondered if anyone had ever used the gravy.

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Dry food is not good for teeth at all this is a commen myth.

However it is cheeper.
    I would suggest feeding wet and dry to save yourself some money whilst maintaining your cat's health.

I give wet food (half a pouch each) twice a day with dry biscuits down all day long for them to nibble.

I have never used the cat gravy but I would suggest the best way to introduce the dry food is to add small amounts of it to their wet food and graduly increase the amount of dry until you have got them eating it as it comes.

You have to remember that dry food is not natural to a cat and so it can take them a bit of getting used to.

Also the cheapest wet food tends to be better for a cat then the most expensive dry food so i would not switch completley.

You may save money on the food but tge vet bills that can come along with a totally dry diet will soon eat that up!

5. ClaireLily

This wet dry debate is a bit of a mine field, my vet recommends a dry only diet but I know its not a natural diet for cats. But then vaccinations, flea and worm treatments and collars are not natural for cats but it doesn't stop us humans inflicting them on the poor kits. I think that domesticated cats have evolved a fair bit from their wild counterparts and are now pets, not wild animals.
    I wouldn't ever do dry only and like you said I am hoping for a combination.

The vet reckons the better dry foods these days as long as the cat drinks are every bit a good as most wet foods. I'm not arguing I honestly couldn't say either way, I'm not a cat nutritionalist. I just want to do whats best for my girls.

I'll try the mix I think see if I can convince them, the youngest will eat kibble but the middle one just won't she just meows every time we go in to the kitchen for food, I'm sure she would eat 10 pouches a day if we let her.

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i dnt wanna come in here with my wooden spoon to stir but heres jst a little thought that popped in my head.
    when i 1st got sheldon i was on benefits so was takin him to pdsa, here the vet told me as he was male to try and limit how much dry he had. so my thought is maybe vets tell ppl dry is best coz actually they know that problems come with it and in turn that makes money?

not all vets wud put an animal 1st if it meant they wud be rashioned for a month. and lets face it alot of ppl in this world only care about money.

i may be bang out of order with this but i jst kinda thought there is some logic to it. my vet at the pdsa logically wud do anythin to not have to treat an animal due to finance so wud make sense to give owners truthful advice

7. ClaireLily

Funnily enough the vet who assured me dry was every bit as good at wet is the one I hold responsible for the loss of my Cheeko and also the one who had me spend multiple hundreds of pounds on treatment which had no effect.

Anyway, one question I have out of this is: If the worst wet food is better for cats than the very best dry then if finances determined I had to choose I'd be better buying 4% meat felix than 40 % meat dry?

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

wudnt life be easier if cats could talk. then you wudnt need to be worryin will they wont they kinda thing.

i feed Sheldon felix coz he likes it, but i have found p@h do a 40%+ wet food that is 9p cheaper than felix, im gonna try sheldon on that

9. This is an interesting thread as i was always led to believe that a high quality dry food is best and that wet food leads to bad teeth and breath as well as a poor coat. I wouldnt know as ive only fed dry. but my cats teeth are in excellent condition with no build up at all and ive never had to have them cleaned. My eldest cat is 5

10. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

They still have the same digestive systems, that hasnt changed. A digestive system that is designed for high protein, high fat, high moisture and no carb. The problem with cats drinking - is that they have a very low thirst drive and yes, eating dry food will cause them to drink more (an unnatural pastime for a cat), but it is never enough water to compensate for the lack of moisture in dry.

What I would do (and have had to do before due to finances) is feed a combination of some cheaper/lower meat content tinned (such as Whiskas supermeat - doesnt contain any cereal, so no carbs) and the more expensive high meat content tinned/pouch, rather than feeding the more expensive all the time. That cuts down on costs a bit. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice