Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat got covered in airwick wax melt... help please

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ashthecat, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Ashthecat

Ashthecat PetForums Newbie

Hey there. My cat managed to somehow get airwick wax melt over his stomach and leg... I've tried washing it out but getting scratched to pieces... is it safe to leave the cat alone for the cat to groom himself? I'm worried it could be toxic so quite panicky at the moment...

2. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

Most candles are made of paraffin wax which is biologically inert so your cat shouldn't harm herself if she ingests any while grooming it away, assuming there's nothing else toxic in that particular type of wax.

You could try rolling the wax between your fingers to soften it and then combing it out.

3. weebeasties

weebeasties PetForums Member

I would be concerned about the other ingredients. Some of the chemicals and fragrance that are in air fresheners can be toxic. Is there a phone number on the packaging you can call? I would also call my vet to see what they recommend. They could give advice about how to get it out and also give you signs to look out for if there is anything dangerous in it.

buffie likes this.
  4. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat PetForums Senior

He will need to be shampooed to remove the wax. If he has ate any I would hazard a guess that fairly bad trots are on their way. Hopefully there's nothing toxic in the ingredients, skin contact should be a very low risk

5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Poor guy. You may need to snip the hair with the wax out, brushing may tug at his skin if it is hard to remove. Crumbling between your fingers may work.

chillminx and buffie like this.
  6. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

7. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I would definitely take your cat to the vet. He needs to get the wax off ASAP. There are a lot of toxins in waxes like Yankee candle and air wick. I use scentsy wax melts they don’t have a lot of the dangerous ingredients that some waxes do. It is also safe to leave on while you are out, as it is only warmed by an LED bulb. But even so I still put mine up high on my fridge freezer. I hope your little one is ok.

Viv xx

chillminx and buffie like this.
  8. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I don't see any other option than to clip it out of his fur,no amount of washing/combing is going to shift it and give your vet a call for advice.
    Much as you may like the smell of these things they are not safe around animals so really would be better not to be used.

10. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I agree with the others who suggested removing the affected fur. I believe they have essential oils in them. Certain oils are toxic to cats. I know lavender is and there are quite a few others. You need to look at the ingredient list.
    It not a good idea to have things like this in the home when you have animals.

buffie and weebeasties like this.
  11. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

A vet or nurse should be able to clip that out for you. I would be careful cutting fur near a cat's skin because the skin is so thin it's really easy to cut them as you don't know where the fur ends and the skin begins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice