Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat gone berserk after being neutered

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by csut, Sep 15, 2013.

1. csut

csut PetForums Junior

Hi, new member... hope someone here can put my mind at rest.

Got a 5 month old male cat, standard black-haired kitty type. Always been a bit on the 'rough playful' side but not vicious. Had him neutered 2 days ago and literally since coming back from the vets he has turned into some kind of mental tearaway! Won't stop attacking/biting/clawing me, running round in circles, no attention span. My brother just visited and immediately commented on his change in behaviour, so its not my imagination... Like I say he's always been a bit extroverted , but not like this.

Funnily enough I thought having the snip was supposed to cure this type of behaviour :crying:

Anyone had a similar story, or know whether it's normal for a period of "madness" after being neutered?

Many thanks

2. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Welcome!

I think there's nothing for you to worry about. Cats are never the same day after day, and my cat have periods which he's very good and periods he is a destructive monster. He was neutered at 4 months and never was any different from his normal self. Furthermore, kittens are always more rough players. As he grows older he will calm down.

Maybe his hyper behaviour might have something to do with what you're feeding him? Carbs and sugar tend to have their blood glucose levels going up and down too fast, which can cause them to behave badly (I know I'm a monster when my glucose is down). Going to a grain-free, low-carb, sugar-free diet will give him lots of benefits.

PS: There's a forum law that says you MUST post pictures of your cat :)

3. csut

csut PetForums Junior

Thanks for the speedy reply. Interesting you mention this because when I took him back from the vets they also strongly suggested I buy some packs of their food which apparently is better for the cat in the days after the op. So his diet for the last 2 days has been different from his regular one... didn't think of that. Could definitely be a factor - the vet told me they even fed him some while he was with them too...

Oh :). Heeere's Ozzy

[​IMG]

that little white tip on his tail is the only marking on him. Kinda looks like a magician's wand sometimes, lol

#3 csut, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  4. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

He is gorgeous. Its early days yet, give him time for his hormones to calm down.

5. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Ozzy is gorgeous :001_tt1: I love his magician wand tail :D

6. csut

csut PetForums Junior

Thanks Guys:D

7. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

He's absolutely gorgeous! Lovely tail! :001_wub:
    As for feeding, take a look in the health and nutrition part of the forum. There's a lot of good info there.

8. csut

csut PetForums Junior

cool, will do...

Thanks again :)

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Could well be the anaesthesia and the pre med drugs. Effects can last in dogs and I don't see why cats should be different really. Effects can last for 72 hours or more. They usually warn in dogs that they can become snappy and reactive until the full effects are out the system.

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Mine are mental after neutering!

But it takes 8 weeks for neutering to take affect on boys, remember he is still a kitten and will calm down as he gets older to :001_tt1:

11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Ask the vets if they used ketamine in their anaesthetic cocktail. If they did then the effects you describe are well known.

12. csut

csut PetForums Junior

interesting... vet didn't mention anything but hopefully this is the case.

oh, didn't realise it took that long. knew it wasn't instant, but thought it was a couple of days, lol

useful. I'll remember that just in case.

thanks again peeps. :smile5:

13. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

your boy is magic, hope he s all better now, sometimes the new smell of being at the vets can be weird for them too, i agree with all thats been said already,lots of good advice , welcome to the forum

14. csut

csut PetForums Junior

Thanks moggiemum ;)

- a quick update - Thankfully he does seem to have calmed down considerably since yesterday. He spent the night curled up on my duvet and didn't try to bite me once :)... So fingers crossed!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice