Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat going seriously mental

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Michael Cox, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Michael Cox

Michael Cox PetForums Junior

I have two cats Whispurr is 11 and CT who is 4. When CT was introduced as a kitten Whispurr went mental!! She screeching, she growling, she hiss, her trail doubled in size, the hair on her back stood up, etc.

I had to keep CT in the carrier for 2 nights because I feared whispurr would go after her! Eventually, Whispurr adjusted and after a couple of months they were getting along even eating out of the same bowl, even though they each had one.

Fast forward 4 years.

This morning I took Whispurr to the vet. They gave her an enema and I brought home later in the afternoon. But when she stepped out of the carrier CT went Mental and behaved just as Whispurr had when CT was introduced.

I was just as fearful for my own safety today as I was when CT was introduced and Whispurr was acting out. Today CT looked at me with pure unbridled rage and looked as though she might become aggressive! Whispurr though disturbed remained quiet while CT continued to howl and hiss. The volume was truly astounding!

I'm thinking CT smells the vet's office and treatment room and just no longer recognize Whispurr. As for me, I've been talking softly to her and holding my open hand out, which she, finally, moved toward and rubbed her face into, which is her habit.

She remains, vigilant, in the other room and starts acting out whenever I re-enter the room, but I am able to calm her down now.

Is this normal? How long will it last?

#1 Michael Cox, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. Michael Cox

It's been peaceful for a little over an hour but when Whispurr wandered into the other room CT started up again.

Attached Files:

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Michael, yes I am afraid it is normal! Well....normal for some cats.

My own experience is I have had the same thing happen with my 2 female cats (sisters who normally get along very well) but never with my male cats.

To prevent it happening again I always now take both females to the vet together even when only one needs treatment. The one who is not being treated remains in her carrier.

You will need to keep your cats separate 24/7 until CT has calmed down. Start scent swapping. Get a soft cloth or better still a t-shirt you have worn, and wipe it around CT's cheeks and neck (where the scent glands are) and then wipe the same cloth around the cheeks and neck of Whispurr, then back again to CT. Do this several times a day.

I kept my cats completely apart for 24 hours and then allowed them together under my close supervision. When there were a few niggles between them I separated them again for a few hours, before things could deteriorate into a fight. It took about 3 days before they were OK with each other again.

#3 chillminx, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Veronica Chapman and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Michael Cox

Well, I'm glad to know it's normal, however strange. Thanks for the mitigation suggestions, I'll give them a try. It's not going to be easy because my Condo has an open floor plan, no doors! I can't keep them apart, except when I am home. It looks like my only option is going to be the carrier. Now I just have to decide which one to put in, but I'm guessing Whispurr since she isn't being aggressive and not so likely to attach me in the process.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Do you not have a bedroom with a door you can close? A carrier is not ideal at all as the cats need not to be able to see each other, for the tension to calm down.

Soozi likes this.
  6. Michael Cox

Nope, I took that door out years ago!

I've modified your suggestion since it's based on smell, and I'm guessing that of the exam room and everyone who handled Whispurr. So I've been handling whispurr a lot, as much to calm her as to get her scent on my and my on her. Then I go out the CT and let her smell my hands, which she does with great attention; I can feel the hot air from her mouth as she takes it in. It clearly upsets her but it also clearly interests her. I take that back the Whispurr and about once an hour I repeat the process. It appears to be working, although at one point Whispurr came out and, forgetting how tense the situation was jumped up on the dest the CT has posted herself on. CT exploded and Whispurr was gone so fast that I only saw her go up before she was gone! She went in the BR and I later found her under the covers! She seems content enough as long as she is in the bedroom, and I'm with her. CT actually seems a little less reactionary.

Attached Files:

chillminx likes this.
  7. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

Oh dear! I've heard about this several times. You see, you've took away Whispurr, which worried CT. Then, you came back with a cat disguised as Whispurr but who plainly wasn't. CT could tell because even Whispurr's nether regions smelt alien.

It seems to me as if you've got the situation under control. Keep it up! Being under-the-bedclothes is a typical sick cat hiding place. Don't forget that Whispurr has been through a very undignified & upsetting experience. Being under the bedclothes will also help her to smell like you again.

Try to feed them separately & be patient.

8. Michael Cox

Thanks for that explanation, makes sense., especially the "nether region", she had an enema!

Last night went fairly well. There were time's when I thought CT settling down but it didn't last, but it was encouraging.

I tool to bed very early, with my tablet, to join Whispurr who loves going to bed at night and always sleeps on the bed, CT doesn't get on the bed until early morning. I wanted to be there with her so I could make sure she was safe. We stayed this way, undisturbed, for a couple of hours, while CT remained on the floor beside the bed but seemed aware of Whispurr's presents.

Eventually, she jumped up onto the bed and broke the peace. By MN I was exhausted and fell asleep, several times during the night I was awakened by CT's growling but she never went after Wishpurr, thank God for that, she just carried on.

It's been a touch an go all morning. I let Whispurr in the closet, which is generally out of bounds for them but it's a good hiding place for her. I also put a dish of food in with her and closed the door enough so CT couldn't get in but Whispurr could push it open if and when she decided she wanted out.

I tend to get angry at CT and sometimes was to spray her with water but I know it's not her fault! My anger cannot be justified, I just need to be patient, as you say.

Thanks for your support.

9. Michael Cox

When I got home from the gym Whispurr was still in the closet but hadn't touched her food. Her nose is wet, she is alert, she smells healthy plus she purred instantly when I began to stroke her. I'm never certain about what purring indicates, I don't think it aways means contentment, but I'm taking it as contentment at this point.

After stroking her I went to CT and started to pet her around her face. She smelled my hands carefully but didn't instantly start howling, as she has been doing. I take that as a good sign.

I left Wispurr in the closet as she seems content, and safe, there.

I don't need to go out for the rest of the day and I plan to remain at home all weekend.

It is clear that I don't need to worry about CT attacking Whispurr and I'm thankful for that, so I can relax and just be here for them, without interfering any more than necessary.

My only concern at this point is that Whispurr isn't drinking or eating but since she's had the enema I don't need to worried about her not stooling.

10. Michael Cox

I called my vet and she said not to worry, "they'll settle down" and agreed that it's all about scent. She said Feliway would help..

Attached Files:

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Scent swapping helps. Get a clean but not highly scented piece of cloth or even a tshirt belonging to you. Gently rub the t shirt against the back near the base of the tail, cheeks and forehead of the aggressor cat. Then go and rub the same areas of your scared cat. Repeat using the same scent marked cloth on the aggressor cat again and then in the timid cat. Once all the scents are intermingled everyone should begin to calm down. You can also rub the mixed scented cloth at cat nose height at strateggic places in your house. Thresholds like doorways and internal doors, bottoms and tops of stairs and scratching and feeding areas. This will place the mixed scent everywhere and make your timid cat more acceptable.

You are sort of doing it with your hands bit the scent transfer is only one way it all needs to be mixed together.

My two used to have this issue when younger. By the time they got old and vets trips were a regular occurence all they did was a quick sniff which seemed to say"oh you went to the vet again, haha, rather you than me"

12. Michael Cox

I really like that idea, makes real sense to me. I'm taking the t-shirt I wore at the gym today and turning inside out and wiping them both back and forth. Maybe my scent will help too. Someone suggested that's what happened when Whispurr crawled under the covers of my bed.

Thanks for the suggestion!

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice