Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat going back to old house

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by paula107, Sep 12, 2021.

1. paula107

paula107 PetForums Junior

We have recently moved home and our cats keep going back to our old house (which isn’t to far away) has anyone any advice to try and stop them ? We’ve been back to old house and collected them every time now.

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi, how recently did you move?

Cats should be kept indoors for at least 3 weeks when they move house, to help them get used to the new place and mark it with their scent so they know it's their new territory. Otherwise they could easily get lost.

I would recommend getting a small catio, at least until they get more used to the new garden, or installing cat proof fencing. Hope this helps.

3. paula107

We have kept them in for 3 weeks but they still keep going back,

4. Emmasian

Emmasian Mother of Pumpkins

Not sure 3 weeks is enough. I've always heard at least 2 months. Is there any chance you can cat proof the garden or provide a catio, as this would solve the issue and be safer all round?

5. J. Dawson

J. Dawson PetForums Member

6. paula107

I think we’re going to have to keep them in a bit longer, I know exactly where they go when they do go but there is 2 busy roads which they cross and I’m scared of them getting knocked over. Il look into a catio, they would just jump the fences in the garden. Thank you

7. J. Dawson

J. Dawson PetForums Member

@paula107

That's good. A catio could be a good compromise.

Keep in mind the cat proofing the garden is so they cannot jump or climb out. Lots of designs and variations on how to cat proof.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice