Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat getting agressive

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by AlisonDon, Sep 5, 2019.

1. AlisonDon

AlisonDon PetForums Junior

My car Percy is 5 years old and 2 years ago I adopted a kitten. Obviously he was a bit upset by this and would hiss and growl and sometimes even he would do it to me and the kids. He did this on and off for over a year until I moved. Then he just stopped and was playing happily with the other cat and they were best friends. The last week or so he's started doing it again though. He'll growl and swipe at the other cat. He doesn't do it if the other cat isn't in the room. Could he just be a grumpy cat? Or do you think something could be wrong? He's eating ok and doesn't look sick. It's just confused me because he stopped doing it for almost a year. Even now after a little while I spot them sitting together and he cleans the younger cat which I understand to be a sign of affection. So why he is growling and clawing sometimes and then sometimes he's ok?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@AlisonDon - when it comes to cats, any sudden change in their behaviour should be suspected to be caused by them being unwell. Cats are very good at hiding pain and discomfort, but illness can show in other ways such as aggression or just being intermittently "grumpy".

I'd advise having Percy checked over thoroughly by the vet, i.e. a full blood count and a urinalysis. That is what I would do if it was one of my cats behaving out of character.

If the vet gives Percy a clean bill of health then you can look at possible behavioural causes, such as competition with your other cat for the feline resources in the home. This is often the most likely cause of annoyance or aggression between feline housemates.

Food is a major source of competition. Do you feed the cats near each other ? If so I would change that, by giving them their own separate feeding spots out of sight of each other. e,g, if you want them to eat in the same room feed one cat on the floor, one cat on a table or worktop. Otherwise separate rooms.

Litter trays are another source of competition - a minimum of 3 trays is required for 2 cats. I provide 4 trays for 2 cats, and all trays get used. If your cats mostly toilet outdoors then you may be OK with 2 trays indoors.

Cats often tend to be protective of some of their resources and not others. e.g. one of my cats is not bothered about anyone eating his food, but he hates anyone sleeping in his favourite cat bed, and will stand over them intimidatingly until they take the hint and move.

Another of my cats doesn't care which of the many cat beds she sleeps in, but is hugely protective of her food, and will attack a cat who comes near her when she is waiting by her feeder to be fed.

So with Percy it is possible he dislikes having your other cat near him when he is eating, but doesn't mind him at other times.

I assume both cats are neutered btw?

Soozi and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice