Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat gate

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lily333, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

hi, ive recently adopted a cat and I’ve been on the search for a cat proof gate! I have an arch way upstairs which has no door. The cat has run of the house but as I can’t let him out for a few weeks I worry that when I’m not home someone will leave a door open downstairs so I’d like to keep him upstairs when I’m not in. Any suggestions? It’s very hard to find a suitable gate!

2. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

How handy are you or your OH? If you are okay with a spot of DIY, it might be worth looking at the threads re introducing cats as it is often recommended to use a screen in doorways, which you can either buy or make yourself. With a bit of adjustment, that could work at the top of the stairs for you perhaps? I don't think any gates tall enough exist (I assume you are meaning baby gate type things, just taller?)

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I think you would do better to find a screen rather than a gate. Cats can climb almost any height as I have found with mine so anything which is solid won't be an issue for an agile cat. Here's an example, you can buy standard or they can be made to order. I've got window screens from here.

http://www.flatcats.co.uk/door-screens-flat-cats.php

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  4. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

My OH is quite handy so he could make something if we had some insporation. That’s great I’ll have a look at that thread thank you! Yes I was thinking baby gate but my cat is very agile and jumps up onto the top of our doors! Haha

5. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

To be honest I think mine could climb any height too as he gets ontop of our doors! I’ll look into screens thank you!

6. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

I think it is @chillminx that said she had made her own but also posted some links to pre made ones on amazon. Hopefully she will be along soon and can help.

7. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

BTW, we love it when you post pictures of your kitties :)

MissMiloKitty, moggie14 and Summercat like this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Lily333 - these are the ready made screen doors I usually suggest:

I think the fly screen is strong enough for use indoors (unless you have a cat who is very determined to get through it!)

https://www.streme.co.uk/product/valoro-hinged-fly-screen-for-single-doors-regular/

They are less than half the cost of the Pet Screen doors (but these are suitable for use on an outer door) :

https://www.streme.co.uk/product/hinged-pet-screen-for-single-doors-new-profile/

My OH has made one for our French windows using 2 x 1 inch white wood to make the frame and fly screen mesh fixed in place with industrial staples. Plus a hook and eye door catch. Cost in materials was £50 to £60 as I recall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice