Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat food & litter getting too expensive :(

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by CatMum_, Oct 28, 2020.

1. CatMum_

CatMum_ PetForums Junior

Hi everyone.

We have an 8 month old Maine Coon and a one year old British Shorthair X Bengal.

Our Maine Coon eats like a machine and everyone advises that Maine Coons be fed kitten amounts until they’re at least 2 years old. Now, keep in mind ours is already 6.5kg (probably 7kg now since we last weighed him!) so for his weight he has to eat like 400-450g of wet/raw food a day.

Long story short, this means I need to spend like £100 on cat food a month, not to mention £30 on litter because his pees are MASSIVE.

I want them to have the best quality food, and especially since they both had diarrhoea for about 2 months, I’m scared to give them dry food or anything with too many ingredients. They usually react very badly to dry food, and our Maine Coon in particular gets very gassy and bloated and will pass stool like 3 times a day.

Can someone please advise on how to keep the cost down? It’s starting to really stress me out :(

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@CatMum_

Hi,
    This may help:
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860
    You can add it to cooked or raw food. For example, turkey mince. It makes it a complete food when you add the Felini according to instructions.
    It may help a bit with cost if you are preparing your own food. Though 100 pound for two cats per month does not seem too bad if good quality food.

Another tip is to buy tins not pouches and bigger tins at that. Then store the unused portion in the refrigerator (glass container). My guys don't care for cold food but I usually leave the refrigerated portion as their meal that I put down before bed and they eat it overnight.

What litter are you using? I have heard wood pellets recommended as a good inexpensive litter if you are not currently using them. Though the initial cost for the trays are high. In the long run it seems to be a good deal. I think @OrientalSlave uses pellets and can recommended a tray. May save cost down the road.

CatMum_ likes this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

£50 per month per adult cat is expensive IMHO. For a 4kg indoor cat, 1/2 tin per day of Feringa Pure Meat is about right, the tins are normally £1.66 so that's 80p per cat per day. 30 x .8 = £24 per month per cat. Obviously cats vary, but you could feed them on Feringa Pure Meat & Classic Meat for that price. I also feed Wild Freedom Wild Country and GrantaPet Chicken PUR, these two are a bit more expensive. As I have a cat who is sensative to a number of meats I stick to chicken only, which rules out a lot of otherwise good foods. I found mine were not that keen on fish flavours.

The Brit-Pet trays are the ones to use with wood pellets. But try the pellets first and see if the cats will happily use them. I buy mine from P@H. I tried the B&M ones and the first bag was OK, the next one didn't break down into sawdust well and was hard to sieve. I put the sawdust in the garden & kitchen recyclng and the solids down the loo. Dealing with them is very quick & easy compared to non-sieving systems.

CatMum_ and Summercat like this.
  4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I make my own raw and would really struggle to spend £100 a month even with my gang of 5 plus various fosters
    Do you buy or make?

CatMum_ likes this.
  5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I also recommend the Brit plus trays as mentioned above, pricey to buy but very economical to use

CatMum_ and chillminx like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

CatMum_ likes this.
  7. KoolK

KoolK ❤️ Snowy's Mommy ❤️

How big are these tins?

My cat is always meowing for more food. She's 3 years old and I heard 250-300g of wet food is enough.

Currently I'm feeding her Mac's adult wet cat food (400g tins), bit I easily spend £40-45 a month on Zooplus for her food.

She eats about 300g a day maybe? But she's always meowing for more & I feel like I give her too much because sometimes she pukes it out.

What to do?

*Don't mean to take over your post OP, my apologies.

CatMum_ likes this.
  8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

4400g tins

CatMum_ likes this.
  9. CatMum_

CatMum_ PetForums Junior

Hi everyone! Sorry for taking so long to respond, I didn’t get any notifications. I appreciate you all taking the time to answer.

Basically my two had diarrhoea for 2 months, a few months back, and ever since then I’ve been feeding them exclusively turkey and chicken wet foods (smilla veterinary diet, and animoda vom feinsten turkey for sterilised cats). Our Maine coon, based on his current weight, requires 4 100g tins per day but in reality needs even more than that (yes!!!), and keep in mind the food costs about £5.50/kg. That’s £5.50 for just under 3 days, for one cat. Our BSHxbengal eats about half this amount daily.

I also give them cooked/raw chicken with a supplement every now and then. Our Maine coon cries for food all day as he just keeps growing and I’ve realised it isn’t realistic to continue spending this much money every month.

I’ve considered making my own raw food but having worked out the potential costs it seems to be even more expensive than wet food (please correct me if I’m wrong!) Raw chicken costs about £5/kg, and this guy eats half a kilo in one day!

I really really don’t want to put them on dry food but I don’t know what else to do. They’ve reacted pretty badly to dry food in the past, especially when they had that diarrhoea episode. I assumed their issues were food-related despite being okay on it as young kittens. I ordered small bags of dry food to test it out and see how they react, as well as wet food.

if you guys could please advise me as to how to cut raw food costs down I’d really appreciate it! I feel guilty feeding them bad quality food but I also need to take care of my bank account lol.

As for litter, I use clumping litter at the moment, and I absolutely love it except for the cost. I’ve tried other types but have found them to be very messy and smelly. Also when our Maine coon pees (like 6 puddles a day) it uses up a LOT of litter so wouldn’t wood pellets cost more in the long run considering they’d get soaked easily?

10. CatMum_

CatMum_ PetForums Junior

Hi! I buy wet food. Can I please ask how you keep the cost down? I’ve been feeding them raw chicken with an added supplement but 1) it seems to keep them less satisfied, possible to lack of nutrients, 2) supplements are super expensive, 3) the chicken is expensive (1kg of thigh mince is £5) and my Maine coon eats half of that in under 2 days.

Also there’s the fact that every butcher I’ve contacted has refuse to grind bones and organs for me :(

I’m not sure what to do except feed them dry food, but their stomachs might not even agree with it as was the case when they had stomach issues :/

11. CatMum_

CatMum_ PetForums Junior

Hi, thanks for replying!

The problem is my two have had very sensitive stomachs for the past few months and can’t tolerate everything :/ they also hate food with large bits of organs. Having said that, I bought animoda carny single protein for them recently and despite them not liking it so much, everything else was fine. Problem is
    , according to the guidelines, our Maine coon should eat about 500-600g of an 800g tin in ONE DAY lol, but realistically he needs and asks for more. 6 of those tins cost £16 (£3.33/kg), so that’s about £40 a month just for him, but in reality more like £50-60. For our other cat it’s probably half that amount, so we’re at about £80 a month for both of them.

Is that a lot? Is it just the reality of owning a Maine coon?

with the litter, I’m scared it will be messy and smelly. I used clumping litter at the moment and it makes no mess, is easy to clean, and most importantly doesn’t smell. They don’t step in their own pee/faeces either, which I’m assuming could happen with the wood pellets?

12. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@CatMum_

Hi,
    I am outside the UK (Eastern Europe) so cannot help with pricing. I buy local premade raw & usually feed that once a day.
    I buy wet food sometimes in bulk if a sale but often pick up food in single servings in the pet shop or from an online seller.

This is a online seller I use and they are also local to the UK. Check them out for specials or ordering in bulk. I am not sure how their prices compare to Zooplus but I find them average where I am. They often have sales as well.
    https://www.petshop.co.uk/

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If Snowy is not overweight you can feed her more than she is getting. Her weight and body condition score are the significant factors.

300 grams a day of wet food would be enough for many adult cats, but there are always exceptions. Some cats with a fast metabolism may beed 350 grams of wet a day, and larger breeds may need 400 grams a day.

The main thing is to ensure if you increase her food allowance is that she is digesting her food (formed, firm stools) and does not become overweight or out of condition on the body score chart.

https://www.oregonvma.org/files/Purina-Cat-Condition-Chart.pdf

KoolK likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice