Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat food guide?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tezwik, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

Can anybody give me a good link as to roughly how much I should feed the cats? The problem I'm having is they are both complete opposites where it comes to food. Earl is a big strapping boy but will only eat dry food and very little of it, but we've got it down to a tea how ,I have and when to feed him, but the new cat will only eat wet food and will eat every time I feed her, today she has had one pouch of food and 1/2 of a tin of food, I'm going to give her more for her supper shortly but I've no idea if I'm over feeding her, it seems a lot for her to eat but as earl has never eaten wet food I'm not too sure what's too much or what's not enough

2. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

This probably won't help, but i'm not sure there is a correct amount to feed a cat.... I hear of people on this site saying that their cat is on 200g of wet food a day, and I feel awful, because Einstein is on 400g!

however, he's very active and fit, and his weight is stable, so I don't worry too much - maybe feed her up, but keep an eye on her weight, unless it starts going up rather lot, I wouldn't worry, I know I try not too...

#2 Erenya, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    chillminx likes this.
  3. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

I'm going to have a word with the vet when I take get for the health check but in the mean time I'm just feeding her as much as she eats

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

It is excellent that she is keen on wet food and that she has such a good appetite as it can be a challenge to maintain muscle mass for an older cat. Please don't worry about over feeding her and do not let the vet talk you into any kind of lower protein food.

5. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

I'm glad she's on wet food as my other cat is purely dry food only and I've tried in vain to get him to change over to wet but he refuses point blank. She does have a great appetite though which is fantastic

AlexPed2393 likes this.
  6. Shikoku

Shikoku PetForums VIP

Follow the feeding guidelines on the brands of food for their ideal weight, they do vary. Then adjust accordingly for them to be ideal on the body condition chart :)

Each Cat is different.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice