Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat food for a sensitive stomach

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by merothe, Sep 17, 2020.

1. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Our 6 month old Birman has had a runny tummy on and off over the last few weeks - including a few accidents on our bed - yuk! Have spoken to vet and have an appointment soon, but their suggestion was that the food she has is too rich and to feed her just boiled chicken for a week to help settle her stomach. We have been feeding her (and her older brother) Grau and Carny - it’s definitely much more dense and fatty than any cat food I have seen before.

Am thinking will do a week of chicken, a month or so on Royal Canin Sensitive and if that settles her (and vet says no other problems) will try slowly putting her back on a normal cat food. We just couldn’t afford to only feed them the sensitive food forever.

Any suggestions for a cat food that is still healthy but not too rich or is more digestible? I’ve been looking at Lily’s kitchen but I don’t know how to gauge how difficult to digest a food might be ‍♀️

PS raw food diet won’t work for us. Something we can order online and is ready to eat is important.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@mereothe - a bland diet of plain home cooked chicken is often very effective at stopping diarrhoea. However it is better to pot roast the meat (or cook it in a slow cooker if you have one) rather than boil it, so as to conserve the nutrients better.

Method for pot roasting :
    1/ Add chicken (legs, thighs or drumsticks are best) to roasting pan and add about 5 cms of water for the stock.
    2/ Cover tightly with kitchen foil and bake at Gas Mark 5 in the oven for 1 hour.
    3/ Drain off the juices into a pyrex bowl or jug and refrigerate 12 hours, then skim off the fat and save for cooking etc.
    4/ You will be left with a lovely nutritious jelly which should be added by the tablespoonful to every meal of chicken.
    5/ Serve chicken chopped with skin on but no bones. Add some of the jelly.

The usual rule is to feed the chicken diet until the cat passes a formed stool and then, slowly start transferring him/her back to cat food, feeding it alongside the chicken (not mixed together) . She may not pass any stools for several days and that is normal.

If you feed the chicken diet for a week, then suddenly switch her back to cat food there is a risk the diarrhoea will return. This is why the gradual switch back to cat food over a few days is a better method.

I wouldn't feed Carny to a kitten with a sensitive digestion. It has quite high levels of offal, including heart, which can loosen the bowel.

Grau should be OK.

But long term it might be best to feed her a food that is light in offal e.g. Animonda Vom Feinsten for Neutered cats, (Pure Turkey) This one is well liked by most cats.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/trays/523945

and the Miamor Mild Meals

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/miamor/miamor_trays/42061

Both these makes/recipes are good for sensitive tummies.

merothe and Trixie1 like this.
  3. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Thanks really helpful.

I hadn’t thought about the offal content being a factor. Will look into those foods

chillminx likes this.
  4. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

I have found Hills I/D food useful for upset tummies, if you can get them to eat it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice