Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat food confusion

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by bonnieanme4eva, Mar 28, 2011.

1. bonnieanme4eva

bonnieanme4eva PetForums Junior

cats are carnivores, they eat meat,not carrots or peas so why did I find a packet of whiskers with peas and carrots in, its just wierd, so dose it have any nutritanol value and have any of you found any wierd cat food?:cryin:

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Whiskas has very little nutritional value anyway :p Its like 4% meat or something ridiculous. it having peas and carrots in is the least of its worries lol.

3. bonnieanme4eva

bonnieanme4eva PetForums Junior

yeah but they must be idiots i mean its not just whiskas ive seen sevarel differant brands with veg in like sheba, and lots of dog food too.:confused:

4. gloworm*mushroom

Meat = expensive
    Carrots = not so expensive :)

People buy it cos its cheaper than premium food. Its cheaper cos the ingredients are cheaper.

Idiot certainly works. For both consumer and producer :)

5. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

It's not 4% meat. It had a minimum of 4% of the named flavour meat. So if it's rabbit flavour, a minimum of 4% rabbit and unknown amounts of other meat including chicken/beef etc. I think I remember someone telling me whiskas is actually about 45% meat.

6. gloworm*mushroom

I cant find any info that indicates anything that high, but I know many flavours do go as low as 4% and the first ingredient is often corn , and even when you get to the meat its by products etc.

7. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Apparently some rep from Whiskas came onto the forum a while back to explain that, and to dispute those claims saying it was ONLY 4% meat. Maybe someone who's been here longer than me will be able to back me up. Do you know which flavours are only 4% meat then?

8. gloworm*mushroom

Not particularly, but I know im not particularly clued up on cat food but I wouldnt feed anything with an ingredients list like that, and i doubt the quality of the 'meat' in it.

9. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

I think the peas and carrots thing is aimed at us, they sell it to us as a 'perfectly balanced diet' and we're supposed to go 'Ooh, veg, that's healthy', like we're idiots. I see cat food flavours like 'chicken and veg dinner', it's bizarre. A friend of mine buys them for her hedgehog because he won't touch veg on its own so I guess it has some uses! :D

10. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Chez is absolutely correct about the 4% meat. Whiskas and other low quality brands only put this as this is the minimum required to put on a pet food can/pouch/bag. This probably gives them freedom to throw in cheaper meats without having to legally state them in the ingredients list, and these "extra" meats can be from a completely different animals (or animals). I imagine the actual meat content varies wildly from batch to batch because of this.

Putting plant matter in pet foods is far cheaper than adding in meat, but I think its to look aesthetically pleasing for us humans as well. We are naturally drawn to colour and variety, so I'm guessing the manufacturers play on this. Some brands put lovely "healthy" pictures of fresh chicken, corn ears, rice and vegetables on cat and dog food packets, just to draw us in and to think the food is healthy :p

Aw, Ren beat me to it! Very well said :D

11. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Oh please don't get me wrong, I am not arguing that the quality of whiskas is low, and I do not feed it myself. You are right it's full of fillers and unnecessary ingredients. But just wanted to point out that it is actually higher than 4% meat. :eek: Even my bozita pate tetrapaks (reindeer flavour!) state min 4% reindeer meat, but I know the meat content is much higher.

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No food contains just 4% meat. As you said Chez87, the 4% one so often sees on the labels of the big pet food companies refers to the minimum amount of FLAVOUR meat a food must by law contain. This doesn't mean that the food will overall contain only 4% meat - it can contain more of the flavour meat too but it can also contain meat from other animals. Whether they declare how much meat a food contain overall on the label is at the manufacturer's discretion.

Take Bozita. The label says 4% flavour meat but it has an overall meat content of up to 93 - 97%. But even with Bozita you are still reeled in by the opposite PR - namely the amount of the overall meat content. Since they declare it, it must be true. But what they do not say is that the 93% overall meat content in the tetrapaks in jelly/gravy refer to the meat in the meat chunks. And meaty chunks compete with jelly/gravy for space in the tetrapak.

You must be thinking about dry food Gloworm with the filler (e.g. corn or rice) being the first ingredient.

To the OP, veg make it into cat food for two reasons - one is fibre, the other one is to please the human consumer, who after all buys the cat food.

13. gloworm*mushroom

I love feeding elk and reindeer...

Is it animonda that does ostrich kangaroo and buffalo? SUPER expensive but Im so tempted to feed it for a treat.

Im so unadventurous with my own diet, maybe I want to live vicariously through my cats (who adore the elk!)

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

See guys, you have listened well. :001_smile: Don't need me any more now ;)

15. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Haha, yes we do Hobbs, you're like our Obi-Wan :lol:

16. Abcynthia

Abcynthia PetForums Member

Hobbs don't cause a panic! ;)

Honestly we couldn't do without you...you are irreplaceable!

hobbs2004 likes this.
  17. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not true :nono:.All it means is that you can have a day off and we can keep it ticking over until you return :D

hobbs2004 likes this.
  18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

:lol: Just a tad younger and not quite as many grey hairs (though not far off without Henna help) but not bad with a sabre (a fencing one not a light one) :tongue_smilie:

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Aww girls you make me blush :p

Keep up the good work guys! I am off to bed. See you tomorrow :)

20. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Don't leave us Hobbs! Already noticed you've been quiet lately!! :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice