Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Food Bin/feeding

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Gernella, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

1. Gernella

Gernella PetForums Member

We've got three cats all with different food needs so 3 different kinds of kibble. It has never been a problem before but there is a problem with the latest kitty.

He was quite skinny when he arrived at 15 weeks old but soon filled out and was recently neutered. He wouldn't eat anything at the vets so when he came home I fed him and he was fine. Later on in the evening he disappeared and when I went to look he'd got into a box containing Sanabelle treats, scratched, clawed and eaten through the pack sides of two and eaten the lot. With no after effects thank goodness. A few days later he did the same with a bag of kitten kibble left in his room but sealed. Fortunately it fell over so he could only get a bit out of the hole (although when I picked it up nearly the whole bag fell out.,

I'd got some cat food that was out of date in bag under the stairs (and hidden) waiting for the right bin to be collected. Somehow he found it and was half way into one of those bags. Removed that but now a new 4 kg bag that was in the hall for when the one in the kitchen ran out has started getting his attention.

He gets the correct amount of kibble four times a day but a good half pack of wet food. I thought when he was neutered his appetite would subside but it hasn't. If he leaves anything it's bit of wet food but the kibble is gone totally and if a bit is left he goes back for it later.

He is extremely active, his room is 17ft long so in a morning you can hear him banging around and when he's downstairs, charging up and downstairs or around rooms is quite normal.

So does he need more kibble and can anyone recommend a good food bin that will hold three bags of kibble, for the different needs of each cat.

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

You could try to get hold of the lock tight type of container - where the lid has two or four clips that 'lock' it down. I got a large one to store bird seed in but I know that they do make extra large ones that should hold 2 or 3 large bags of kibble.

To be honest I think you need to feed him more good quality wet food - one with a high meat content as it will fill him up more than the kibble. Dry food isn't really very good for cats and because it's mostly carbohydrates and sugars doesn't have a lot of nutritional value - yes he will have put on weight on a mostly dry food diet, but then so would we if we ate mostly a high carbohydrate diet ! The only reason that cats are "addicted" to dry food is that the manufacturers spray it with flavouring to make it attractive; plus dry food doesn't provide the amount of fluid they need and can lead to renal problems later on.

3. Gernella

Well water is not a problem as he's always kept his fluid levels up. H

4. Gernella

Sorry puss got on the keyboard. His wet food is Felix as good as it looks. What wet food has a high content and yet is reasonably priced. With three cats that has to come into consideration as well as access to it and something they like and will eat.

He's a bit mischievous because the older cat (16) doesn't want to know because he's too boisterous for her and the feral doesn't like being inside so no one to play with other than humans and they can't play all the time.

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This is because he is dehydrated. It is not normal for a cat to drink a lot of water. They don't have much of a thirst drive at all, because they are meant to get their moisture from their food. A cat drinking a lot is a cat desperate to get enough hydration, but never will, a cat cannot drink enough to offset the dehydration of a dry diet.. I think if you put him (and all of them) on a wet diet you'd be very happy with the difference in them all.

He does sound hungry, and thirsty. An all wet diet would likely solve this problem.

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  6. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t necessarily interpret his criminal tendencies as hunger he’s probs just having fun. One year my Jango unpacked my Secret Santa box unwrapped the presents, ripped open the treat bags and scoffed the lot. :D

#6 Citruspips, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:10 AM
    sandy-cat, chillminx and Betty6691 like this.
  7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Does it have to be one large bin? Might be easier to get hold of 3 smaller bins and contain the bags individually

8. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

OK, first up, how old is he now? Growing cats need a lot more food than the recommended amounts, so that could be part of the problem if he is still under a year old.

Secondly, which dry foods are you feeding each cat and why?

Felix AGAIL is better than some (at least it's grain free), but still not a great food. A lot of us here buy online from companies like Zooplus - I have two cats feed a rotation of Smilla, Animonda Carney, Feringa, and CatzFineFood at the moment, plus in the morning they have raw food. Sometimes I buy Butchers Classic as a treat from Pets at Home - Charlie-girl loves jelly, and that has lots, plus it's grain free AND a lot cheaper than Whiskas and Felix. I never bother with pouches (expensive and bad for the environment too) and keep grain free dry for emergencies and travel only.

Storage wise, have a look at dog food storage bins. I have three large Curver bins in my shed for storing wild bird food in:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Curver-Petlife-Container-White-Litre/dp/B003N9CMR4

[​IMG]

They do different sizes too.

9. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Have a look at this topic for some ideas https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...rk-in-progress.440844/page-15#post-1065490284

It's quite long ('cos t gets updated all the time) but well worth a read through - lots of recommendations both for quality and price:) A better quality food than Felix AGAIL needn't work out more expensive as with a higher meat content the cats won't need as much.

And, yes, mine clambers over the keyboard too :eek:

10. Gernella

He's not drinking too much water, there are three water stations around the house and he only drinks his own. Only other things he likes to do are stand and and watch the toilet flush and put a paw in my water if he gets the chance. He has Royal Canin Neutered Kitten, the Sanabelle kitten kibble he came with he refused to eat, which was probably why he was a bit skinny when he came. He started going through 400 grams a day of wet food, of the Tesco Tiger brand that came with him.

He's usually hungry in a morning and then afternoon and night, which might be down to feeding times, 8am ,12 and 5pm and 10pm at night. Might be too big a gap for the later times. I'll try the suggestions next time I have a Zooplus order sufficient to get free postage. There was a tin of wet food in the Meow Box I got from them, but nobody seemed to like that and the fox got it in the end.

It might be just pure naughtiness getting into the bags when he's bored as he is quite a handful and even the breeder said he was a bit of a monkey. Lots of different toys, barrel, scratch posts, towers, tunnel etc., but no other kitty to play with (although she is mellowing a bit, he just needs to stop chasing her). I think he just likes rummaging, although I have to admit he has the nose of a gun dog. Seeing others go outside doesn't help either, but he's too daft yet.

The Curver bin looks good and a lock on, so might add that to my considerations.

Citruspips likes this.
  11. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Hi Gernella, I just wanted to add a bit about the water thing. I have 2 cats now, one is on a completely wet diet (Sandy), while Fili is still moving slowly off a dry diet. Sandy never drinks water, because he gets all the water content he needs from his wet diet. Fili, in contrast, does drink water, because a portion of his diet still comes from dry food. A well hydrated cat will not drink water out of choice, because it just doesn't need it. Conversely, a dehydrated cat may eat more dry food than it needs because it is trying to increase its hydration rather than because it's actually hungry.

I would agree with suggestions to up his wet food content, and to offer wet food with a higher meat/protein content which will be more satisfying. In my experience, a pouch of, for instance, Catz Finefood, or a tin of Thrive, is more satisfying for my cats than 2 or 3 pouches of Felix AGAIL or equivalent, because it contains a higher proportion of meat/digestible protein.

Also if he's still a kitten then you probably can't overfeed him - he's burning off so much energy plus he's still growing.

12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Hi
    I have a Maine coon. She changes how much she eats with the weather but gets through about 3 200g tins a day. Three small ones. I have only seen her drink a few times. I add water to wet food and raw feed too.

I think you may need to feed him smaller frequent meals and consider feeding all your cats a wet food diet. It pays dividends as hopefully their long term health will be better . Cats need moisture from food, they would normally eat whole animals and get the moisture from the water (blood, stomach contents) of their prey. Over the last 20 years the pet food industry is huge and they want us to buy. Not surprisingly the offers on cat food are normally on dry kibble.

You need a complete not complimentary cat food. I always read the contents label and the food needs taurine in it

13. Gernella

Thank you for all the information. Funny really because when I first got him and for about a month after, he was drinking water on wet food alone, not a lot but enough for me to notice. Since the introduction of kibble at around 5 months old, I don't think it has changed that much. All my other cats have, once they were able to go outside, preferred puddle water or plant holders that have bottoms on them.

The oldest cat is 16 and even the vet says she is in extremely good condition for her age.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice