Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat following me...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by princesspeach, Oct 12, 2013.

1. princesspeach

princesspeach PetForums Member

Where i live, around the back, there is an old, unused carpark, that the council shut down years ago, it was underground, and all the exits have been cemented shut with brick walls. except for the main entrance, which has a slope downwards to it and then big metal doors, which are locked, but have a gap underneath. Anyway, since i have lived here (5 years) every few months we will see loads and loads of kittens sitting on the slopey bit going towards to metal gates. we start seeing them when they are literally just wobbling around, so absolutely tiny, and then most of them disapear, and you see less and less sitting there, and eventually after a few months, the kittens that did survive, get pregnant themselves, and the problem happens all over again. I have rang the council about this over and over again and am told they are aware that there is a large feral colony of cats living in that car park, and are going to put it on the system that i have logged another complaint. The rspca come out every now and then and sometimes manage to catch a few of these kittens, but most of them remain down there. The problem is, the foxes, there are a LOT of foxes around here, and i think party they are around here because they know there are constant kittens, and the horrying noises we here at night are distrubing. We see foxes lining up on the wall by the car park entrance, waiting for the cats to come out, and then they chase them and the smallest ones never stand a chance. They are also attacking cats that belong to people too, so everyone is now keeping their cats in at night/all the time. Usually these kitten are incredibly scared of people, even spotting me walking up the road they dart straight under the metal carpark doors, but this last litter, born i think around june maybe as i have been seeing them since july, is different. there were about 5 of them, it quickly went to 3. Then recently, the RSPCA have been out again, and only one remains, and he(or she!) is now following me. Everytime i come out, it is waiting for me, i have put some of freddies food down for it a few times, which i am not sure is a good ideam but i feel so guilty! when we come back home, he is by the carpark doors, and when he sees us, follows us again. I feel so guilty, but i can't let him in to my place as i am worried he might fight with freddie, but, if something happens to him with those foxes i am going to feel terrible!! He wont go near my husband either, just me, i wish i could help him!!

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Ohhhhh what a horrible situation :( i can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be to see them in the first place but then have them disappearing ... and the noises and foxes :(

Re this wee one ..... is it totally feral or do you think it would be tameable / able to be domesticated?

3. princesspeach

it is awful, hubby goes out early to work, and sees some of the aftermath, luckily i don't leave until 8 50 so the street cleaners have cleaned it up by the time i leave with the kids, as hubby has seen some horrid things. I am not sure, but i have 3 small children (2,4,8) and a kitten of 10 weeks and am a bit worried about bringing a cat in, that has lived outside fending for itself for its entire life. It is an awful situation and i really wish the council would get their act together and just empty the car park out and then brick up the remainign entrance to stop this happening!!! it's not on, and as well as foxes is attracting rats, and all the rubbish bags are getting ripped to shreds and food strewn every where.

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Why don't you get in touch with your local Cats Protection branch. They are usually very good at catching mother cats and getting them spayed and would no doubt take the kittens for rehoming, it doesn't sound like the RSPCA are having much effect and I'd be a bit dubious about what happens to the cats if they take them away, being feral. At least CP would return the adults once spayed.

5. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

mmmm I hadn't appreciated your cat was just a baby herself so prob not the best idea to bring a street wise one (sorry)

Charity's suggestion is good - and I'd def be on to the council again, if there's rubbish being left & rats (which will also be encouraging the cats / foxes :() try the environmental health dept.

Poor hubby - I can only imagine (horrid pics in my head now :mad:)

6. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Why don't you get in touch with your local Cats Protection branch. They are usually very good at catching mother cats and getting them spayed and would no doubt take the kittens for rehoming, it doesn't sound like the RSPCA are having much effect and I'd be a bit dubious about what happens to the cats if they take them away, being feral. At least CP would return the adults once spayed.

7. princesspeach

sorry for causing you to imagine horrible things :(. I will google cats protection and see if i can get in contact with them, thank you , i didn't know they could help. The council are utterly useless, i just get told someone will ring me back and it never happens. This is the little one that keeps following me, though he's not keen on me taking his picture, wish i coudl somehow keep him! [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

8. londonkittens

londonkittens PetForums Junior

Is there any way you could take him in and then pop him to a rescue centre? (Keeping him apart from your kitten)

I had similar a few years ago when I lived in the country. Lots of feral cats and the foxes very much making themselves known. I had two previously very abused and difficult cats that I had recently rehomed and they were just starting to settle in when a feral turned up that obviously needed some care and wanted to move in. I couldn't take it in as it would have unsettled all the work I'd done with my two, so I managed to get it into a carrier and took it to a local shelter. After a while it was adopted to a good family, so it was a happy ending. :)

9. princesspeach

i have emailed cats protection. I am worried that if i capture him and try and take him to a rescue centre they will say they are full up and not be able to take him and put him to sleep or something, and i would hate that to happen.

10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

What a shame he does look lovely. I hope the cats protection help.
    You could put a worming pill in his food next time as he will have worms.
    This must be so upsetting seeing him lonely and what with winter coming.
    He might be ideal for someone who wants a barn cat.

11. princesspeach

I will do that I hadnt thought of that. Going to put some more food down for him this morning although I dont usually see him when its raining....I gope cats protection can help. If I knew someone was able to take him I would get him in to freddies cat carrier and take him to a reacue place or wherever.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice