Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Flu or something else?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Megan Carpenter, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Megan Carpenter

Megan Carpenter PetForums Junior

Hi everyone!
    My 9 month old cat Luna has showed signs of possible cat flu since we rescued her (April this year). We don’t believe she’s ever been vaccinated. She’s been on 3 rounds of Synulox and on 29th June had a Convenia injection.
    Twice (29th June & 6th July) we’ve been to the vets to have her spayed, and each time she’s been worse so the vets have said no. One week after the Convenia injection, at her appointment her chest was so much worse. The vet is quite concerned and said her chest really doesn’t sound good.
    She’s rattling and wheezy, coughs and sneezes! Eyes are clear, no discharge. She’s drinking well and eating still, just not as much. She also seems quite well in herself, plays with her daughter (we kept a kitten!), sleeps a lot.
    Her kittens have gone to new homes and none show any signs of cat flu (no sneezing, coughs or runny eyes).
    She’s having a swab done on Friday to see if they pick up any bacteria. They also suggested chest X-rays.
    Has anyone experienced this and it turned out to not be cat flu?
    Thanks in advance! :)

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Megan Carpenter - sorry to hear about poor Luna's respiratory problems, she has had a lot to cope with in her short life, hasn't she, bless her.

Synulox is a broad spectrum antibiotic and is not always the best one for treating a URI (upper respiratory infection) Nor is Convenia the best thing for a URI.

Swabs will need to be taken under a general anaesthetic or under heavy sedation to get anything useful without causing a lot of discomfort to her. So there is a certain amount of risk in the procedure as she is very wheezy and her chest is rattling. Has the vet said whether it can be done under sedation and not need a G.A.?

My suggestion would be to have asked the vet for a course of Ronaxan tablets for her as it is an antibiotic that specifically targets URI's. Since one of my cats was prescribed Ronaxan his rate of URI's has fallen from one almost every few months to one on average every 18 months. ( vet has said he probably had feline herpesvirus as a kitten, i,e, before I adopted him).

But if the swab is being done hopefully the lab will come up with something, and the correct antibiotic can be prescribed for Luna.

Megan Carpenter and kimthecat like this.
  3. Jimmie O'Chutt

Jimmie O'Chutt PetForums Junior

Hi! Have you considered taking an FIV/Felv test? I know it sounds scary but you should probably rule out those viruses first.

4. Megan Carpenter

Thanks for relying!
    The vet didn’t mention sedation or GA at all so I’ve called to ask whether either will be necessary! They said sometimes they can do it without either
    Thanks for replying!
    They vet didn’t mention sedation or GA so I’ve phoned to ask! I’m not sure whether they will because of her breathing not being good. I hope they can find out what is wrong!
    I’ll ask about the Ronaxan, thank you!
    She’s not had any tests at all. The swab on Friday will be the first though she’s been to the vets several times with the chest/breathing problems! Poor girl!

5. Megan Carpenter

It’s not been mentioned but I’ll ask!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice