Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Flu Carrier?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Elsie's mum, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Elsie's mum

Elsie's mum PetForums Junior

I got a new kitten in February and the day after getting her she was obviously unwell, she had runny eyes and nose and was quite sneezy. She was taken to the vets and was treated for conjunctivitus and was given eye drops that sorted her eyes out, this was then also passed onto my older kitten so he also had to be treated. Since then she has had 2 more trips to the vets for her jabs and each time i have asked about her sneezing but the vet doesnt seem to think its a problem. She is completly fine in herself and will run around, eat, drink and is normal but she does sneeze quite alot and is snotty and when she sneezes I will get a little snot on my lap. The sneezes and snottyness hasnt been passed onto my older kitten but he was fully vacinated before I got her. The vet did suggest she could be a carrier of cat flu but hasnt offered any solution.
    Just wanted some advice if there is anything i could do or maybe if i should go to a different vet

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Did the vet give any indiction which flu it was? Though it sounds to me it's herpes or chlamydia owing to the eye involvement. Unfortunately both can take a long time to clear. As long as the mucus is clear it's nothing to be too concerned about. Chlamydia is bacterial though and should respond to antibiotics.

I would try L-lysine ( good for herpes ) and see if you notice any improvement. It stops the virus replicating and you can buy it at Holland and Barrett!

3. Elsie's mum

Elsie's mum PetForums Junior

No, I remember the vet mentioning both herpes and chlamydia though, he did also mention an injection that he could give but didnt seen to think it was worth it unless she got worse and also said it often doesnt work, would it be worth a try though? Thanks I will try L-lysine, what form does it come in and how much do I give and how often? Is the other cat at risk at all of catching it? Should I treat both?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice