Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat flea collar

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by liverb, Sep 18, 2013.

1. liverb

liverb Banned

Hello everyone, about 3-4 months i noticed that my cat has fleas. So i bought him some flea control pill called protektor. After applying the first couple of days i noticed some dead fleas where he lays. But after 2 weeks he didnt stopped scratching. So i went to the shop where i bought the protektor, and the guy who works there told me to take him there, so when i took him, he applyed again some flea pill but i didnt asked what brand.
    But he never stopped scratching. I cant find fleas when i look, plus he has long hair and its impossible to see them, except for that white spot (on the white spot i cant find any).

So now i bought him flea collar, but now im reading online many cat owners warning that is dangerous, and they have problems. So im asking for some advice, im thinking to put the collar on him for 1-1.5 week and then throw it.
    This is the collar:
    [​IMG]

And here is the beast :D
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

2. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

I really wouldn't put this on him. There have been lots of problems with flea collars, most of them don't work and many have caused severe irritations. The best use for flea collars is to put them in your hoover so that when you pick up any little blighters as you clean, they may become victims of it in there.
    Do you know which Spot On treatment they used when you took him in? Advantage is very good, Frontline however seems to have become pretty ineffective. Don't be tempted to use any off the shelf products they are rubbish and often dangerous. If he has been treated recently, I wouldn't use anything on him for a while, most of the Spot On products are supposed to work for up to four or five weeks, so you don't want to be putting anything on him for a while if he's only just been treated no matter how effective (or not) it might have been.

CoCoTrio likes this.
  3. cat burglar

cat burglar PetForums Member

Great advice from denflo :)

Liverb your 'beast' is absolutely :001_wub:beautiful

4. liverb

liverb Banned

Thats pretty much what i have read, thanks. I think to take him to the vet, to see what he thinks..

And about vaccinations, he has received one when i got him (about 1.5 year ago), and also the vet gave him some paste. My question is does he needs to get anymore vaccinations? Maybe he needs to get 1 every year, or? He is indoor cat, eats dry and food from can.

5. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

There is a bit of debate as to how often they need their booster jabs, the drug companies who make them say they are needed yearly and the vets have to go along with this advice, but there is some evidence that they are not needed so regularly. If you want to ever have your cat put into a cattery, then they will ask that they are up to date with vacs.

I like to take mine for boosters once a year anyway, it's a good opportunity for the vet to have a good check over them if nothing else.

6. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Ours is an outdoors cat but he doesn't get any injections at all. We won't ever use a cattery so the vet said we needn't bother.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice