Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat flap training

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jaf, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Has anyone had a very reluctant cat with cat flaps? I’ve had Woody chipped but she absolutely will not use the cat flaps. There’s 2 that she can use, a interior non-microchip flap and a sureflap pet door which I’ve temporarily disabled so that any cat can use it. I’ve had them taped up for weeks and she’ll happily go through. As soon as I take the tape off she won’t go through them. (It’s cold with them open) Treats don’t work and if I pick her up she panics and runs off as she’s still a bit wild.

Mari, Ollie, Frank, Lottie, Bisto will go out through the pet door but don’t try to get in even though the lock is disabled! Sigh. But at least they’ll go out of the flap.

2. Lina84

Lina84 PetForums Junior

Can she use the one without the micorchip when it is closed? I was desperately trying to get my cat to use her flap and then it turned out that it was too difficult for her to push it open. Like your cats she could go out but never used it to come in. Now that I have taken out the batteries and taped down the lock she can use it just fine both ways.
    If she is afraid to go through the door you could try to lower the door bit by bit ( you'll need tape and string), once she is going confident going throught it you can lower it a bit more until she is confident. You could also use toys to encourage her. My cat quite likes sticking her paw through the flap to catch the the toy on the other side.

Jaf likes this.
  3. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

No she won’t go anywhere near either cat flap, not even to look through them. She’ll miaow from the other room when she wants fed! I have been picking her up and putting her through but only once every few days as she hates it. Woody doesn’t play with toys, though she loves food treats don’t appeal.

The string idea is very clever, thanks!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Jaf - years ago (before microchipped flaps were invented) I had a cat who was afraid of the cat flap. She wouldn't even go through it when it was taped open. I waited until the summer and then removed the cat flap from the door during the daytime, so there was just the hole in the door. After some days of looking through it she decided to jump through and came back through the hole later.

When winter came I put back the cat flap permanently and taped it open at first, then when she was Ok with that I closed it for normal use and she began using it, both for exiting and coming back in. It was a long process training her though.

Jaf likes this.
  5. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I had the cat flaps taped up for a couple of months. I was expecting all the neighbourhood cats to come in but I think they all live here! Woody is happy to use hem when they’re taped up.

The funny thing is that Woody’s sister Sausage started breaking in through another of the cat flaps last year, so I got her chipped and yet she won’t come in through the kitchen door. She has to come through a different pet door so it’s not too difficult for her, and she will go out through the kitchen flap.

They much prefer the doors open of course! I will try the string trick next year when it’s warmer (I miss central heating)

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice