Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat flap in council property

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Debbie SYRETT, May 24, 2017.

?

Am i allowed to put a catflap in my doubleglazed windows in council property

Poll closed May 31, 2017.
  1. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Debbie SYRETT

Debbie SYRETT PetForums Newbie

I live in a council property with double glazing windows leading onto my garden . The 2 smaller windows underneath the big main window was easy to take out so i fitted a catflap in it with wood at either ends to fit in any gaps as the window is probably about 3 catflaps erected standing side by side in length. The council want to replace the window but how will my cat get out. Shes been using this window catflap for 3 years now and it causes no harm to me or anyone . Can i

2. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

Depends on your tenancy agreement. Best bet is to ask them.

3. Debbie SYRETT

I feel they find one reason or another to say my catflap is a hazard. I asked for their support in other areas of my home but they seem fixated with my window. I know it probably doesnt look brilliant as i put it in myself but it saved me forking out a couple of hundred pound to get it done profesionally and its important as i cannot suddenly restrict my cat of her freedom and escape route

4. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Did you ask permission first?

5. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

better to ask the council than us, completely depends on your contract etc.

I certainly couldn't put one in my privately rented home

moggie14 likes this.
  6. Debbie SYRETT

Well if im honest the studio flat i live in was in pretty bad repair . ( i did an exchange) and the bottom small double glazing windows we.re both cracked. I struggled to receive any support from tge council despite sending them many pics of many disrepairs and lost all faith in them. It seemed safer to take both the small windows completely out hence me getting the catflap idea. It hasnt caused any problems to anyone and i feel happier knowing she is safe. We get foxes etc late at night and i would hate for her nit to be able to get in. I cant keep my backdoor or window open due to either soneone getting in or lots of spiders

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Perhaps if you offered to get the cat flap fitted professionally in the window the Council would agree. Not saying your efforts are no good, but perhaps the Council wants a more professional looking finish. A Handy Man would probably be able to do the work.

You should also offer to state in writing that you will remove the cat flap and pay to have the window reglazed if you ever decide to move out.

If you can't get them to agree and you have to get rid of the cat flap then I strongly recommend you get your cat in before you go to bed at night and keep her shut in all night with a litter tray. Then only let her out when you are at home to let her back in. Not ideal at all, but safer for your cat than leaving her outdoors.

Calvine and moggie14 like this.
  8. Debbie SYRETT

Hi many thanks for that.. i did consider that ie getting it done professionally as certainly would look better anf blend in better. I would do anything to not have to restrict her.

9. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Irrespective of how damaged the windows were, the state of the flat or your cat's freedom - you will have a tenancy agreement that clearly lays out what you can and cannot do. I'm sure you fekt that there were very good reasons why you've made these changes, but the council will just see a breach of agreement.

Best thing is to speak to someone at the council and ask them what your options are. If the options don't work for you, you can volunteer another option - as @chillminx said, offer to get it done professionally - but you have to be prepared that they may refuse. After all it's their housing stock and even if you make the changes out of your own pocket, they will need to change them back if/when you leave.

you'll be more likely to get their approval if you agree (contractually) to reverse any changes when you leave. They should logically have lest objections then.

chillminx and Calvine like this.
  10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

That would be my advice too, that you would restore the window to its original condition if and when you move out.

11. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

My local council doesn't allow pets but if you have permission for your cat then i would ask them, each local council will have their own rules, you dont want to do something that could break your tennancy agreement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice