UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is going to be a lost cause, however recently one of my 4 cats has been getting into fights with a local cat. When outside this morning as there is blood and fur all over my garden, all my poor chaos's black fur too and his ears bleeding.

The cat he's fighting with is a male tabby and white and they were fine, they would howl at each other but didn't fight until a new long haired black cat moved down the road.

Chaos has now been to the vet with 3 abscesses, along with one of my other cats trouble who is a scaredy cat and terrified of other cats and had a burst abscess on his face.

I know I sound bias but these other cats a coming into my garden and and watched one attack another of my cats Oliver at my microchip cat flap whilst he was trying to escape into the house. And my little girl got cornered curled into a ball the other day until I heard her growling and went and got her.

My cats do not fight at home, Trouble and Chaos have occasionally had a play fight, they do not use claws, make noise or have ever caused each other injury.

They are also all neutered, though Chaos has occasionally sprayed in the garden.

I can't keep my cats locked in at night, not for want of trying, purely because they have figured out how to unlock the cat flap. Trying to get all 4 cats in so I could block up the cat flap without any of them escaping took hours, if I managed it at all!

Basically this whole rant is because I want to discourage these other cats out of my garden. Which I know is not going to be easy if even possible, they sit outside my back door just looking in my house, is times like this am glad I invested in my microchip cat flap!

Trouble at Chaos were indoor cats for their first year and a half, then I moved to an area away from busy roads, added two extra cats and they've all been outdoor cats for nearly 2 years. Fighting has only been past couple of months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had problems with stray cats intimidating my cat and just coming in the house helping themselves to food -
have you tried spraying them with some water with a tiny bit of lemon juice in?
It's hard cos it means getting within spraying distance, which i've never been able to do. but that was recommended to me...

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
You've got my sympathy.

We had a bully cat in the area that considered our garden part of its territory.

As our cat got old, she couldn't see him off any more, and he made her life misery. She too ended up with an awaful abscess, and I saw how cowed she was when he stomped into the garden. She used to roll on her back and wet herself in fright.

Poor cat went from a very outside cat to an inside cat.

Perhaps the new cat on the block has ousted the one that fights with yours from part of its territory, so now it comes into your garden instead.

We never found a solution, sadly, but I wonder if you could block its way in - perhaps add some trellis/netting above your fencing, to keep it out. If it is harder for it, it may just go somewhere else.

Also don't leave out any food outside that might tempt it.

We never caught bully cat - he was far too quick - but I would have sprayed him if I could, to try and put him off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had problems with stray cats intimidating my cat and just coming in the house helping themselves to food -
have you tried spraying them with some water with a tiny bit of lemon juice in?
It's hard cos it means getting within spraying distance, which i've never been able to do. but that was recommended to me...
I have tried getting him with water but I always miss, he rus if he sees me.

Sadly enough I have handled the issue so at by growling and hissing like a cat so he runs. By this point he either thinks I'm a giant cat or crazy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about buying a cat pen,they then can still have outdoor freedom and be safe.
My garden is not all that big and a pen just isn't enough room, if I try to keep them confined to the garden they leg it as soon as I open the front door.

Literally chaos and Oliver will wait until the hear keys and charge me, I could keep trouble and Mysty as mainly indoor cats just fine but what you do for one have to do for all!

Really is like having children.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Do you have high fencing around your garden you could add cat proofing around the tops.

Iv heard you can buy lion dung off the net for around 5 quid that would keep the bully cat out but your cats wouldnt like it..you could put it around the edges of your garden that would keep bully cat out and your cats in.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You have utter most sympathy.

When I got Alfie he was a bit of a bully and my neighbour complained that Alfie kept coming round to bully his cat. I bought some cat detterant spray for my neighbour and it helped. Alfie's trip to his gardens ceased. He fights with other cats and even stray cats. He has been to vets numerous times with war wounds. He drives me potty sometimes. He stays out most of the day and lurks in the garden and neighbour gardens too. Even me doggies give Alfie a wide berth in the garden. I really wish there was an easy solution. Last year a gang of 3 cats laid siege to my garden and whilst he tried he best to fight them off, Maisie my Westie entered the fray and they vanished in a heartbeat.

Alfie and Maisie now have daily rows over who is top boy. :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You have my utter most sympathy.

When I got Alfie he was a bit of a bully and my neighbour complained that Alfie kept coming round to bully his cat. I bought some cat detterant spray for my neighbour and it helped. Alfie's trip to his gardens ceased. He fights with other cats and even stray cats. He has been to vets numerous times with war wounds. He drives me potty sometimes. He stays out most of the day and lurks in the garden and neighbour gardens too. Even me doggies give Alfie a wide berth in the garden. I really wish there was an easy solution. Last year a gang of 3 cats laid siege to my garden and whilst he tried he best to fight them off, Maisie my Westie entered the fray and they vanished in a heartbeat.

Alfie and Maisie now have daily rows over who is top boy. :tongue_smilie:

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Do you have high fencing around your garden you could add cat proofing around the tops.

Iv heard you can buy lion dung off the net for around 5 quid that would keep the bully cat out but your cats wouldnt like it..you could put it around the edges of your garden that would keep bully cat out and your cats in.
Get an electric fence fitted around the perimeter of the garden. :blink::eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have high fencing with a trellis, but one of my boys is a bit of a ninja and can climb anything so not a deterant.

I put some cat repellant down and no one seemed to notice, il have to try the stuff you've suggested see if hat helps!

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
If you are going to try the water spray deterrent you need a water pistol. This will enable you to spray from an open window, or a distance away from the cat. You can buy water pistols on ebay or amazon.

As someone else suggested, it would be best to keep your cats in at night as night-time is when they are most likely to get into fights or get injured.

I understand you would have to train your cats to come in before you go to bed, and this is best achieved by getting them used to having something very tasty to eat at bedtime, such as a strong fishy smelling food or even a bit of boiled chicken. If you feed them early evening, say 6 pm, then do not feed them again until bedtime, they will learn to come for their food, if you tap a dish. Cats are good quick learners, especially when there is a reward in it for them.

As for blocking the cat flap so your cats can't get out at night, this is easily done, by placing a large cardboard box weighted down with several housebricks, in front of it. It needs to be heavy enough for a cat not to be able to move it. They might fuss at first, but they will get used to it in time, I promise you.

Do you know if the visiting cats who are fighting with your cats are
un-neutered males? It sounds likely. If so, could you have a tactful word with their owners and explain what has been happening? Their cats could have been coming home with bites and injuries too, so they may know there is a problem.

If the neighbours cats are not neutered, there are vouchers available through the RSPCA or Cats Protection to pay full vets fees for neutering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I filled up an empty washing up liquid bottle with water to scoosh at cats which were causing quite a lot of bother (even fighting through a locked cat flap at one point!). I haven't had the need to use it though as the fighting has stopped - we had a rough few weeks which the vet told me was because females in the area were in heat and the unwanted visitors were likely to be unneutered males. Hopefully you find something that works or things settle down for you soon. It is so stressful and I would agree with the suggestion of trying to keep your cats in at night too. Perhaps worth the hassle of blocking the cat flap in the long run to avoid lots of trips to the vets? Best of luck. x

·
Registered
302 Posts
What kind of cat flap do you have? I've had both the bog standard one and the magnetic one in the past. Other cats were able to break in with ease. Now I have a microchip one, which locks itself when light levels drop towards dark, my cats can get back in but not out.

Kato used to be particularly persistent trying to get out, but the flap has held up well and he's finally got the message that no matter how long he scrabbles at it, it's not going to budge. And unlike last year, I've yet to come downstairs and find a stranger black cat asleep on my chair. The one I've got is the Petporte.

The only thing to be aware of with these light sensitive self-locking catflaps is that they can unlock given a strong enough electric light source, e.g. security lights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have a sure flap microchip cat flap. They can open it when it's locked can get they're claws under it and pull it open till it bends. The cat fights mainly seem to happen during the day.

I have been working 3 till 10 shifts at the moment so been difficult to get them in before night. Been managing it every night though n if my boyfriends home he has been doing it if I havent managed to before work.

Chaos was attacked trying to come through the outside cat flap (which is not a microchip flap as I have a cat flap either side of a brick wall making a tunnel) and ended up ripping it off the wall and getting it suck on him because he got so upset.

Although my little baby boy Oliver was run over on Halloween so all feels like doesn't matter what I do. Don't even know how he managed to get so far and why he tried to cross such a busy road. Am absolutely devastated.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
I have tried getting him with water but I always miss, he rus if he sees me.

Sadly enough I have handled the issue so at by growling and hissing like a cat so he runs. By this point he either thinks I'm a giant cat or crazy.
As suggested by a previous poster, a powerful Supersoaker is a great investment for long distance bully discipline.

Keep up with the hissing and growling too, it can work! My Charlie-girl isn't the biggest of cats and a very sweet thing, and although she's not afraid to defend herself a few times a huge tom cat stalking through my garden had her backing away in classic crouch-claws defence. What he didn't anticipate was me rocketing out the back door like a tigress when I saw how things were going - I'm no Olympic sprinter, but the first time I must have got over halfway to him before the shock wore off and he bolted for the bottom fence, nearly caught up with the pest. Took a few more times before he got the picture, but I haven't seen him in a while now...

Although my little baby boy Oliver was run over on Halloween so all feels like doesn't matter what I do. Don't even know how he managed to get so far and why he tried to cross such a busy road. Am absolutely devastated.
Oh, no! :( No words to offer you, but *hugs*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.