Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat fight - cut neck!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by GSDlover4ever, Aug 4, 2009.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

i have 2 cats that stay at my mums and ever since me and my GSD have moved out one of the cats who is a spayed 15 year old has been in a few fights.
    the other cat is a neutered 7 year old!
    usually my GSD would scare any cats away when they were trying to fight with our cats.
    but obviously since we don’t stay at my mums anymore she isn't able to do that.

Lucky the 15 year old has had a few serious cuts to her head - she obviously went to the vet and got tablets - to cut a long story short it was a few months ago this happened and she has had a few different lots of tablets to help the pain because she keeps opening up the wound - by rubbing herself across the couch or scratching.

there is a small scab on one of the puncture wounds, fur has grown over the other one.

however we noticed yesterday that she has another gash on her neck - luckily enough she is a great wee cat and allowed me to clean it with salted water - she purred as i did it!

she loves the outdoors but we are trying to keep her in more. also where the cut is we can’t' put a lamp shade thing from the vets on her - because it will irritate the cut even more!

my question is if there is anything else that we could use to prevent her scratching/ rubbing at the cut making it worse?

Oh she will be going to the vets as soon as we can get an appointment!

2. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Depending on where it is on her neck maybe a buster collar would work? (Elizabethan collar)

Failing that could you bandage it safely?

Bless her, we know how when a wound heals it itches! But a cat is there own worst enemy sometimes lol!!

3. GSDlover4ever

i didn't relise the lamp shade was actually called the elizabethan collar lol

she has one healing cut below her ear and the new cut goes from her ear down wards about an inch - she is quite a delicate little cat - many peole thnk she is a kitten because of her size lol
    so theirfore the collar wouldn't work - the vt also stated that it would rub up and downa nd irritate the cut even more.

i have even thought about bringing her to my flat - so her cuts can heal. i don't have a garden or anything so she wouldn'tbe able to go out - but she will probably hate it!

4. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

After one of my cats had an operation she kept biting the stitches, pulling them out & nibbling at the wound. I couldn't put her in a collar 'cos she couldn't eat or drink properly & was so depressed in it. I used human Mepore dressings on her - they're what you get after an operation & I had some left over, but you can buy them in different sizes at the chemist. They're breathable & not mega sticky like elastoplast etc. They did the trick perfectly & ended up coming off themselves, but they'd be pretty easy to snip off anyway. Stayed on long enough for the wound to heal & the vet said that he'd use them in future instead of a collar! Hope this helps xx

5. GSDlover4ever

oh thanks for that ill look into it, luckily enough she isn't bale to reach her wound with her mouth - but she is always scratching away.

she really loved me cleaning it for her with salted water - must have been very itchy :)

6. GSDlover4ever

well i got the stuff you mentioned - sadly it doesn't stick properly- however i tied a bandage around it as well to hopefully protect it a bit.

i also found out she was deaf today - she was in the house and i called her, she would normaly come running.
    my other cat did instead. i went to look for her and i found her and shouted her again, also when i was only inches away from her - she never responded until i touched her. :eek:

7. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Ohh - sorry - it stuck fine on my cat. Maybe her fur is too thick for it? (My cat had a shaved bit it went on) Hopefully with a bandage it'll be fine unless she scratches it off ! :rolleyes:

Was she deaf before? I know that sounds like a dozy question, but has this resulted from her injuries too? If so, hope it's only temporary & gets better soon :)

8. GSDlover4ever

no she wasn't deaf before - i think it possibly because of old age - i was thinking that she is possibly injuried so much because she can't hear the animal that is trying to attacked her!!!!

ill say to the vet about her hearing - just to be on the safe side! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice