Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat escaped from carrier outside vet

Discussion in 'Lost and Found Cats' started by Hanad, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

Yesterday at around 6 PM, my mother and three siblings were taking my two cats (just turning 12 months) to the vet for a vaccination. They parked in front of the Vet, and went in to get the procedure done. Once exiting the vet, one of the cats managed to burst through his carrier, and sprinted across the parking lot, hiding under cars until eventually my siblings lost sight of him. They waited for 6 hours until midnight in the parking lot and still could not find him, they shook treats and called his name for hours. The veterinarians said they would keep an eye out, but I'm worried for him.
    The main cause of concern is the vet is in an industrial area, there are many large, busy roads. Furthermore, he was transported via car so i doubt he knows the way home. The distance between home and the vet is about 3 miles, and he would have to cross many large intersections and busy streets to make it back. Do you think there is any chance of him returning? I have heard that cats have very good homing abilities, but this situation seems impossible.
    Since the incident yesterday, I have gone twice to the parking lot area in front of the vet, shaking treats, waving his sleeping cloth and putting a bowl of sardines/smelly fish down to no avail. Luckily he is micro-chipped, and is in good health. What should i do?

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

So sorry to hear this. The main thing is that your cat is microchipped, so if found and checked for a chip, you should be contacted, so make sure your contact details are always updated. Are you in the UK? Yes cats have very good homing abilities and also good at seeking out caring people. See the thread on here re what to do if your cat goes missing, which covers all sorts of ways to improve your chances of seeing your dear cat again. Because of where the cat was lost, he will need you to do your best to find him, the earlier the better, so if you can spare more time to re-visit the area, calling him, it could make a big difference. Certainly have a very large photo/poster of him at the vets, as lots of people will visit the surgery and being pet lovers are likely to keep their eyes peeled and spread the word too. Maybe there is a cat charity like the Cats Protection, that can put a trap down, or maybe you could borrow or buy one? They are used with catching unneutered ferals and strays etc and the cats don’t get injured. Food is put in one end, and the door closes once down the far end. The cat stays in it until the trap is re-visited. Maybe there’s a quiet safe place near the vets, you could place one? In the UK there are lots of lost and found websites which send out alerts to pet lovers within a certain radius. It’s worth you ringing other local vets, local cat rescues, to see if any cat gets brought in matching his description. Put up posters and go door to door speaking with the business owners and staff. More posters! Good luck. I do hope you find him and please update us.

#2 TriTri, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. TIGGS1

TIGGS1 PetForums Member

Sorry what happened but as mentioned your catmight find home evenually as they have good homing abilities also outdoor cats can travel up to 5 miles a day and they tend to travel at night as they dont like noise but going back to the spot is a good idea maybe try going in evening time take a torch but if you see him go to him gently as he will be scared also tritri has some good ideas to consider

give the cat rescue centres your number in case he does turn up one day never give up tiggsx

4. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice. I have gone again to the area but can’t find him. Someone nearby notified us that they saw a cat yesterday who looked like ours. I went to the area and handed out posters but can’t find him still. Do you think my cat would leave the area immediately or stick around for awhile.
    I’m not sure wether to use the cat traps because I did see a number of cats in the neighbourhood nearby and I don’t wanna trap someone else’s cat.
    I may just print more posters and stick them up around the area. Thanks again

TriTri likes this.
  5. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

it might also be worthwhile to do a door-to-door check in the immediate area and actually knock on people's doors to ask if they've seen him and ask them to check their garages/sheds.

TriTri likes this.
  6. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

Yep I just did that. Although some of the neighbours don’t seem too kind, one did say they saw a cat in their garden and will keep a look out.

7. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

I am in London btw, in a busy area. The vet he escaped from was the Greenford pets-at-home vet in case anyone wants to take a look online.

8. TriTri

Oh more cats in the area? Then no, don’t use a trap. I’m very surprised people would have roaming cats in an area like that. One of my cats broke out of his cat carrier Thursday, what a nightmare! Fortunately I was in the car and still in the road I live. I’m annoyed that the carrier wasn’t strong enough not to break when he forced a top corner of it. I do hope you see your dear cat again soon and get him home safely where he belongs.

9. TriTri

Brilliant idea.

10. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

I have put up posters in the neighbourhood near where he escaped. I also went door to door asking if they saw him. I have received 3 calls back from people within the road i believe him to be saying that they saw a cat who looked like the one in the poster. The trouble is he isn't coming out when we call him. I have gone on 5 separate occasions but he disappears before we arrive. Do you think it would be a good idea to take his brother cat in a carrier and let him follow the scent? while shaking treats?

11. TriTri

Oh such a shame you haven’t got him back yet. I don’t know if taking his brother would help, but obviously make sure the box with his brother in is 100% secure. My own cat escaped his box last week and broke it with great force, but fortunately we were on my driveway, inside the car. I’m sure you don’t need reminding and of course you will need a second cat box, should you be fortunate enough to find him. Do you leave food out for him? I know other cats could get to it, but he is likely to be hungry. Good luck. Let us know how you get on please.

12. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

There was a supposed sighting today but it turned out not to be him but a very similar looking cat. Do you think he would be in the area still after a week? Many of the people in the neighbourhood I spoke to leave bowls of food out for the cats in the area.
    Another issue that popped is I noticed a change in my other cats behaviour at home. He’s eating considerably less, meowing a lot more than usual and looking around the house in cupboards etc. Could he be grieving? It breaks my heart to see him like this. He sleeps a lot more now.
    Thank you for the advice I will keep you guys updated with what happens.

13. TriTri

I’m pleased to hear people in the area leave food out for cats, in this instance, giving him a chance to feed. From the lost and found alerts I receive, a lot of cats are found and quite often a few weeks later. I read something last year about how far they travel and can’t remember the exact figures, but it was between 40% and 60% are found within two miles of their homes (those lost near their homes) and the rest (I think around 40%) were found further away, so they had travelled. If I find the information on it, I will add it.
    Yes I think your other cat is missing your lost cat. When my last cat passed away, my other two cats and also his brother (my mum’s cat) became extremely vocal! It went on for about 3 months, but will vary in cats.

14. mightyboosh

mightyboosh PetForums Member

Have you offered a reward? That may help. For a small fee you could register at PetsReunited. I joined after a scare when Oliver got out. I found him myself but they do alerts and chase up shelters etc. I got an email alert from them today about a lost cat in my area. It's all about publicity when trying to find a lost one. Good luck.

15. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

Thanks. Yes I have registered with pets reunited and offered a reward in the poster. So far I have only encountered false alarms of similar cats but not mine.

16. mightyboosh

We lost a cat several years ago and she'd been looked after by someone about a mile away, for three months, before we got her back. That could be a possibility with yours.

17. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

Wow. Might I ask how you managed to find your cat? Did the family post it on the missing website?

18. mightyboosh

We didn't give up hope so my wife went knocking on doors and a lady told her that she'd seen a cat matching the description and it was living in a box in a garden further down the street and was being fed by the householder. We were very lucky I suppose.

TriTri likes this.
  19. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Also if you havent already put up an advert on dogslost. Under breed you can choose cat. They contact all the local rescues and agencies for you and also l dog owners subsribed to dogslost for that area will also keep a look out for you. They were very helpful when my friend lost her cat.

It is possible someone has adopted the "stray" so lots of continued leaflets through letter boxes, social media posts and posters up in the area will help.

TriTri likes this.
  20. Hanad

Hanad PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys. I have already posted notices on all the recommended websites and put up posters across the area where he ran. So far I have been getting calls for different tabby cats (tabby cats are common I’ve heard) so I’m just waiting for some hope to come through. I’ve spoken with multiple neighbours and they said that he will most likely come to their homes when they leave food out.
    He was an outdoor/indoor cat, I just hope he isn’t in any danger from foxes or cars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice