Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Enclosure Base

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MichUK, Aug 23, 2013.

1. MichUK

MichUK PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am looking for a little bit of advice about what to put on the bottom of a cat enclosure?

I am building (well, a carpenter is!) a wood & mesh cat enclosure and the base is currently a sort of tarmac bottom with bits of gravel stuck in it. It looks really dark and is a bit manky looking.

I would like to fill the base with pea shingle but I know that cats like to use this as a toilet - would they still do this is they have a litter tray in the enclosure with them?

Would beach pebbles be a better size? Then I worry that if they jump down from a height (from a shelf or their house) they might twist an ankle or something! Another thought was to lay loose slabs down with pea shingle around the edges and sides (to avoid any use of mortar etc, I think that is beyond my skills!)

Any ideas about the best sort of base? Ideally something a hopeless DIY'er can do easily themselves? :001_rolleyes:

Thanks for any help!

Michelle

2. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

I would say a solid concrete floor or tiles for easy cleaning. Tiling is easier than it looks and there are loads of how-to sites on the web. Even concrete pouring is not as difficult as it looks. Although I am sure if you lift the tarmac stuff, there will be a solid concrete floor underneath. I would imagine tarmac would be relatively easy to lift with a hammer and chisel. You can clean and seal the concrete base with pet-friendly sealant (there are loads of products available) Ask the carpenter tohelp you (most handy people are handy in all aspects of DIY).Then you can put loose stiff rubber and carpet mats for different textures. Or even one solid sheet of thick rubber matting that you can just mop. I wouldn't put sand, stones or gravel there (due to sensitive klitty feet).

#2 koekemakranka, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

What about synthetic grass? I know several members have used this with success and I guess it could be fitted over the existing tarmac.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As PP's has said artificial grass is worth a thought.

We used artificial grass for Meeko's run as I worried about him jumping up and down from a height on to bare slabs.It has been great and does seem to dry quite quickly after it rains'

Before...........

[​IMG]

After.........

[​IMG]

5. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I had granite chippings in my back garden, they were very paw "unfriendly" and I have had artifical grass laid - far nicer :D

[​IMG]

#5 Cookieandme, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  6. Chiantina

Chiantina PetForums VIP

We have used big grey slabs and these were just laid with sand so no compo or mortar type stuff needed!

7. MichUK

MichUK PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone - I might try and give it a jet wash and if it still looks bad, maybe concrete slabs or fake grass!

Have a good weekend all! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice