Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat doing toilet outside the box please help !

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by puddyandcolby, Jul 13, 2017.

1. puddyandcolby

puddyandcolby PetForums Member

Hi i have 3 bsh. My oldest girl (2yrs) started doing toilet on a lino in the kitchen or bathroom. Shes a bit diffrent, than my other cats, from the moment we got her. She never liked playing ( they have many toys ), she doesnt like to be touched, shes not a lap cat, she doesn't even like to be in the same room. She walks slowly, never chasing things. She recently started doing toilet on the floor. Took her to vets, asked for blood test and it came bk fine. What else can i do? Vet thinks shes fine but i have the feeling its more than behavioral problem. Can u please help. ( litter box is emptied few times a day )

2. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

Most say you should have the same number of boxes plus 1 as cats in your household. So three cats will mean 4 boxes. It's maybe less if your cats go outside of course. it's not just a clean box they want its privacy as well which is easier if there are more boxes. If your kitty is a bit more of a loner maybe finding some where quiet away from the others is more important to her. Give her plenty of her own space such as feeding her separately to try and make her feel calm and less upset by the other cats Who I expect are still at a rather boistress age:)

I'm not sure if blood tests pick up cystitis but that can often cause litter box problems but I expect your vet has already thought of that.

Once she's been somewhere her smell will be there which will attract her back. So you'll need to clean it with something like biotex and then use it as the site for the litter box.

It's a common problem especially in multi cat household is so I'm sure you get plenty good advice from people who have had the same problem:)

3. Franlow

Franlow Guest

I have 2 BSH, neither of them cares for humans particularly. They play with each other more than with toys, definitely do not sit on laps.
    You need more than one litter tray for 3 cats. I have 2 for just one cat & 2 share the human toilet upstairs. I have one in the kitchen & one in the bathroom. Poppy can then choose to use the one where the other cats are not. You must clean where she has been going with biological washing liquid ( laundry for your clothes) the enzymes eat the smell. Anything like bleach, or, disinfectant means she will do it more to mask the smell which she doesn't like. Maybe a hooded litter tray would be better for one? or a larger tray. It doesn't matter if you clean it several times a day. You wouldn't want to use the loo after a couple of other people would you & their sense of smell is way better than ours. You may also have to look at the type of litter you use. Cheap clay type ones do not tend to be as absorbant as others. The gel ones are only really good if you mix the litter up after every wee, otherwise it just sits at the bottom & smells. The utra clumping ones I personally prefer, but, they are only any good if you continue to remove the clumps. A large cat like a BSH, produces a lot of urine. Three cats in one tray = minimum 3 poohs, 9-12 wees. It kinda makes sense that she is turning her nose up. It could also be that the other 2 have now reached adulthood & whilst she would share with kittens, she won't with adults.
    Hope this helps

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with Citruspips, for 3 cats you need a minimum of 4 litter boxes (trays.) If they are outdoor cats you can probably reduce to 3 boxes but no fewer than that.

Choose a fine granular unscented clumping litter. Cats Best Oko Plus is liked by most cats and is economical to use. Put a nice deep layer in the litter boxes, at least 2.5 inches deep. Deeper litter encourages the cats to use it.

Scoop the poo as soon as possible after deposited. Scoop the pee twice a day.

Spread the litter boxes around the house, not grouped all together. Quiet spots where the cats will have privacy.

Some of the litter boxes to be open ones, some can be covered, in case the cats have a preference. If you use covered litter boxes remove all the door flaps from them permanently. Cats instinctively feel uneasy if they are completely enclosed when at toilet. Removing the flaps encourages use of the litter boxes.

It is possible your 2 yr old is having intermittent cystitis, perhaps due to stress over access to litter boxes, or something else. Any cat with a bladder problem such as yours has should be fed a wet food diet only, no dry food. A wet food diet will increase her fluid intake, thus increasing the volume of her urine making it more dilute, and more comfortable to pass.

Your cat's behaviour sounds quite withdrawn for a 2 yr old. When did she become like this, or was she even like it as a kitten? The walking slowly concerns me, as it can be a sign a cat is in pain. Does she initiate interactions with you at all?

puddyandcolby likes this.
  5. puddyandcolby

Thank you for replies. We have 4 litter boxes and we are using worlds best cat litter. Boxes are large and clean. What worries me that shes so withdrawn , shes always been quiet but over the time she became like a cat pensioner. It was my first cat so wasnt sure how she should be but now i have 2 more i can see how diffrent she is. Blood works fine, maybe she just doesnt like us, im very upset as i love her very much, would like to help her. And no, she doesnt initiate any contact with people. She just sits on a window all day. Ty again for your help xx

6. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

Maybe another vets visit is in order. Did your last vet visit just deal with the litter tray problem or your cats general demeanour. She could have an injury that is long-standing and causing her pain. The behaviour you describe been quiet and withdrawn is typical of a cat who is unhappy. It won't be you that she doesn't like so don't think that. It's more likely that she's hurt self at some point and it hasn't healed properly.

7. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

excuse my dreadful grammar/spelling today I'm on medication :confused:

8. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Helium is exactly the same. She interacts with her sister, but, really is quite happy on her own looking out of the window. Sodium is much more sociable with the other cats & humans, but, she still doesn't do laps, very, very occasionally she will sit near you on the sofa. They both absolutely adore being brushed ( I use a furminator) it is the only time I get them purring.
    Did the vet feel along her spine? If she is walking slowly, it does sound like she is in pain. Maybe you could ask for your vet to check the hips / spine, if she is insured perhaps a scan.

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@puddyandcolby - you are right it doesn't sound so likely to be a problem with the actual litter boxes, more to do with your cat herself. Have you ever spoken to the breeder about how your cat is, see if she has any ideas?

But I agree with Citruspips, to be so withdrawn and not to seek any human contact is unusual. It used to be said that some of the Blue BSH were standoffish, but that was over 20 yrs ago and I am sure those lines have probably not been continued. At the time it led to me choosing 2 Silver BSH instead of the Blue I had intended to get. But anyway 'standoffish' with humans is not the same as being withdrawn and not even playful.

I think further investigation is called for really.

10. puddyandcolby

Ty very much for all your help. My blue boy a red spotted girl are 9 months and 1,5 yr and both great with ppl playful cats. I worry my Puddy ( oldest ) is in pain hence shes so antisocial. Will try mayb an xray to see her spine. Shes got so much love and attention but recent toilet problems brought it more to my mind. Will try vets again although he thinks shes fine.

11. puddyandcolby

12. Franlow

Franlow Guest

She looks almost semi longhaired. Is she a blue point? I have 2 blur point sisters, the only way to tell them apart is Sodium always looks grumpy & Helium worried - just their facial expressions :)

13. puddyandcolby

Shes a blue point with some gold. Yeah shes too fluffy for the show, but shes got 5 generation of champions and ICh in her bloodline. shes a georgeus 5kg young lady xxx

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

She is very pretty. :) I didn't know there were colourpoint BSH. Looking it up I see the colourpoint BSH became established in the early 1990's around the same time I got my 2 Silver BSH.

15. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Well I never knew that! tried to rehome my 2 girls about 2 years ago just after they were spayed, nobody wanted them without pedigree papers - they were dumped on me by my next door neighbour - a whole litter. Never meant to keep them, but they had bad tummies for weeks & by the time they got better, Sodium had a scabby neck because of an allergy to a kitten collar & then suddenly they were 6 months & I couldn't give them away. Son fell in love with them & here we are now :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice